Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

First DSLR K-7 on its way

Hi everyone

Last year I bought a nice superzoom (Lumix FZ-35) for my wife for the holidays and since i'm a gadget geek/IT guy I ended up playing with it and learning it so I could teach her how to use it. This was the first camera we ever owned that had any manual controls so I was interested in what it could do that our old canon sd630 couldnt. In doing so I ended up using it more than her and addicted to photography at the same time!

Long story short in the span of 10 months I joined photoblog.com and flickr and got lightroom 3. Seeing that I had an eye for photography I decided I needed better equipment to expand my horizons. I'll be the first to admit that its not the camera that makes the picture, indeed its the eye of the photographer. I have taken some of my best photo's to date with my Blackberry, but one is limited with these tools.

About a month ago I got the itch to get a DSLR after playing around with a friends Canon XSi. I jumped on the web and dug deep, I went to the Wolf camera store and spoke to the salespeople there and asked to fondle some equipment. I had seen all the talk about the KX and K7 and mentioned them to the guys at Wolf and they agreed that I should get a K7, one of the guys was a K10 user himself. They sold me on the K7 and they dont even sell Pentax!!!!

About a week ago I found pentaxforums and have been tearing through the endless threads to see what I could find and searching for all the K7 photos on flickr, needless to say Saturday night I bit the bullet and ordered one.

So here I am impatiently waiting for its arrival. Any advice once it arrives?

08-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Have fun with your new camera.
08-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks.
08-17-2010, 04:54 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikro Quote

So here I am impatiently waiting for its arrival. Any advice once it arrives?
When you open the box, don't be frightened by the magical light and celestial choir music which will engulf the room.

08-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've been imagining it in my mind just as you have described. Dont know if I'll be as corny as this guy is though...
skip to 4:40 when he is looking at the kit lens! I wanted to hand him a towel.
08-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
When you open the box, don't be frightened by the magical light and celestial choir music which will engulf the room.
Hey, IRA, I like that comment, i'm giving you a Rep

Last edited by music_lover; 08-18-2010 at 09:29 AM.
08-18-2010, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Haha, that guy loves his camera! You were right, I have never seen so much sheer joy expressed for a $40 kit lens. Also, at 6:30 - "again guys, I don't even know what I am talking about." Followed shortly by "Pentax, I've never heard of them before." Priceless!
08-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heck of a camera to pick as your first DSLR!

08-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
As he twists the lens...

"do you see that?...do you see that just coming in and out...WOW!"

LMAO!
08-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ha, I am guessing he never printed a focus test chart for that lens!

I believe he might have thought the salesman at Henry's was a photography god of some sort.
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new camera when it arrives, did anyone mention the LBA that goes along with all new camera purchases.
08-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
So it arrived today...

Heres my first shot...(pp in LR3)

Another shot using a macro adapter lens...its kindof a shit lens but it will get me by until I can afford a faster prime.

Both of these were shot inside my house in very low light @ ISO 800.

I am about 6'2" and have fairly large hands and was so worried about it being "Too" small for me, but figured I'd just get a grip for it to compensate...This thing feels amazing in my hands! Maybe its just because i'm used to that tiny p&s.

I opened the box and I was blinded by the awesomeness staring back at me...I am honestly happier to have this than I was when I got my first HDTV! My wife says I dont get a B-day present for the next 3 years now...wait till she see's how happy I'll be with a 55mm f1.4! Ut Oh...LBA already!

Last edited by mikro; 08-18-2010 at 09:36 PM.
08-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #13

Very good start, nice photos! The K-7 was also my very first dSLR. Got it the end of April this year. I must warn you... LBA sets on you fast. Be strong! Otherwise you end up like me, a few months in and already packing $2000 in lenses (sig) ... .
08-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
Very good start, nice photos! The K-7 was also my very first dSLR. Got it the end of April this year. I must warn you... LBA sets on you fast. Be strong! Otherwise you end up like me, a few months in and already packing $2000 in lenses (sig) ... .
Curious as to how you liking the Sigma 8-16? Is it Sharp?
08-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Curious as to how you liking the Sigma 8-16? Is it Sharp?
I really like it, I find it quite sharp. You can check out the Sigma 8-16 Club for some examples.

EDIT: BTW... not some kinda PF freak... just happened to check my subscriptions a second ago...