Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #1

25 years Nikon - just switched to K7

Hi all

I've been a Nikon nut for half of my life, got out of pro photography 3 years ago.

Getting back into it now, sold most of my gear way back, after studying the options the k7 was a no brainer..........

Just got the k7 with the kit lens, while I get used to it. Then I'll be buying some primes.

Thats all for now........

Zootog

08-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

woot!

Good choice, the K7 is a very capable camera...and if you put some limiteds along... you're in for a very nice IQ.

Good word is that the SDM issue seems to be solved so you can consider some nice DA pro zooms.
08-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good choice of camera, should you choose to go back, pro work can be done with Pentax too.
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Absolutely

That is why I bought the k7......

Learning a bit more each day...

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, good choice of camera, should you choose to go back, pro work can be done with Pentax too.

08-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #5

How does the sharpness of the camera compare with the Nikon digital's you've used. I ask because i'm considering this camera too. I've been mostly using film, and am getting into DSLR technology. I'm not very invested in any line of lenses, so I can make a good choice.
The reviews of the K7, aren't convincing one way or another.
Allot of them seem to say it's a competent camera without being outstanding in any field. It's rather faint praise.
The last review I read, said it isn't the sharpest...In film, sharpness is a matter of the lens, in digital it seems that its down to camera too.
I've always striven after the most sharpest photos.
Appreciate your experienced comments.
Brad.
08-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the club!

Sharpness is still dependant on the lens. The body can really extract more by virtue of its megapixels so long as the lens is up to the task.
08-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Fotopete. Sharpness is still a function of the lens. What many reviews talk about is Jpegs and how the camera processes the image. Who cares? These cameras shoot RAW for a reason and if you want the best out of your images, RAW is the only way to go for a number of reasons.

AF is solid on this body, very good feature set and menus, SR, WS and very good resolution for enlarging. Better AWB than Canon or Nikons. Much easier to manually adjust WB in crappy or mixed light as well.

It's only weakness is higher ISO's over 1600. But that's also a function of APSc and these high res sensors as well. The 7D and D300s (the only serious competition to this body) ain't great either. In fact if you set the Ev comp to +1 at ISO 1600 or 3200, you'll do very well in most lighting situations. Combine that with LR3 NR and you will be fine most of the time.

Congrats on the new camera.

betterphotos, buy one, you'll like it.

08-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi again

I concur with last two posts, its still all about the glass, just to clarify, over the years I'd switched from all Nikon glass to Sigma primes mainly (except constant f2.8 120-300). So switching to Pentax still gives me the luxury of using familiar lenses - in fact my first (excluding) kit lens will be the 8mm-16mm sigma
08-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome zootog,

if I were you, I'd be trying to mate as many of the three amigos (FA 31 / 43 / 77) with your K-7. More "pixie-dust" than the new Ltds. AFAIC.

QuoteOriginally posted by betterphotos Quote
Allot of them seem to say it's a competent camera without being outstanding in any field. It's rather faint praise.
I bet you came across that stupid opinion piece by Michael Reichmann that he calls a "Hands On Review". With this sub-par blog post, he didn't do the K-7 justice at all. Note that he plays with Hasselblads, Leica M9s, etc. and apparently lost contact with products that are affordable.

While the K-7 might not be extreme in any particular category (would you really want it to be the smallest APS-C camera? Or the most expensive?) it is awesome value for money. It combines many desirable features (half of which M. Reichmann never discovered during his non-review period) in a very affordable package. It never occurred to M. Reichmann that being the best compromise with respect to optimising many diverging design goals could be a virtue. He looked for extremes in single areas but forgot that a good camera is made up by combining features/properties that gel together well and that are affordable as a whole.

The K-7 is arguably the best street photographer APS-C camera out there.

And M. Reichmann cannot put any of the FA Ltds. on a Nikon that may clinch the record in highest FPS. Luminous Landscapes used to praise Pentax lenses a lot. As to why M. Reichmann never realised that he had the best Pentax DSLR ever to shoot the Ltds. with, just escapes me. None of the reason that spring to my mind are flattering for him.

Sorry for the M. Reichmann rant, but he did everyone a big disservice with his poor opinion piece, and he never showed the greatness to admit to his sub-par performance on this particular "review".

BTW, IIRC, Imaging Resource gave the K-7 quite a glowing review. BTW, their K100D review gave me the final nudge to go for the K100D and I've never regretted it.

Gordon Lewis from "The Online Photographer" also gave the K-7 a very good review (linking to Part III as it contains the conclusion and links back to the first two parts).

Last edited by Class A; 08-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.
08-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zootog Quote
I concur with last two posts, its still all about the glass, just to clarify, over the years I'd switched from all Nikon glass to Sigma primes mainly (except constant f2.8 120-300).
Good to see someone who doesn't have prejudices against Sigma. I have the Sigma 28/1.8 EX and the Sigma 70/2.8 EX and they are both excellent.