Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Hi from Texas.

Hey all, I just signed up to ask a couple questions even though I have been lurking for a while......I live in the Houston area (actually south west of the city border in a Missouri City) but was born and raised in NY state (part of the family in the upstate area and part in the city), I moved to FL and lived in on the Fort Myers side of the Sanibel Bay and spent a few years in Tampa (blah!!!!!).

Anyway, I like reading, writing, playing guitar, and romantic walks on the bea............. Oh wait, wrong window

My first decent camera was a Pentax ZX-7 that I bought for when my Wife and I went on our honeymoon..... Used it on auto settings but got great pictures and I knew there was something to this newfangled film craze......before this point it was just point n shoot, but a few years after the ZX-7 I decided to go back to basics with K1000, eventually got a digital point and shoot and then decided I needs an DSLR and decided on a Pentax *IST (and I like the fact that people do not know what to call it) I went with this because it had most of the basics and not a bunch of stuff I would not use, I wanted something that would force me to work on the basics and I did not (and still do not) want to have digital take over my photo-life.

Sorry on the length, I am feeling good and am rambling on.........and yes!!!! this is the crazy why I type with tons of ........... and (stuff like this in brackets) because I think my brains broken........or at least not wired proper

dan

08-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol. welcome to the site.
08-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
we're going to get along fine.... welcome. i'm glad to hear you are not giving up on film. i was visiting another forum and several members stated that using a dslr offered immediate feedback which improved their film satisfaction rate. (newfangled?.... film craze??)
don't be a stranger this is a fun and informative forum a good group all in all.

p.s. a word of advice. don't be goin' all crazy up in the head...stick with pentax. no need to go buying OM1's, Minolta SRT's Fujica STs, stay away from Sigma, Ricoh and Vivitars as well. ...trust me you'll be richer for it(too many cameras not enough time) don't forget .... eerrrr i mean forget about mirandas, pratikas, pentas, topcons, yashica, blads ,mamiya and seagulls and konicas and and ...........
08-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
hahaha!!!! Thanks for the welcomes and I am sorry to say that I have a Nikon F100, but don't worry......I have had it for over a year (maybe close to two years) and never used it. I realize that many think (sorry they know because someone told them in a magazine or blog) that Nikon is the best but I have always been the one that likes the little guy, the lesser known, The guys that do not advertise and buy all of their exposure (no pun intend.........or maybe it was). I am also sorry to say I have some of those old SRT's hanging around the house........Along with a few spares just in case I ever need parts.

I also like collecting old cameras of all styles (mostly old medium format stuff) even if they do not work, Some of them work but need attention and I try to get them fixed up, and some are just hopeless but I love the look of them........ I also like pinhole cameras and have made them out of what ever I can find and I have one made of maple that is a 4x5 and have a Polaroid back for it as well.

I like the Minolta's SRt's and use them but I love Pentax......... It's funny because it seems that the Minolta lovers (especially fans of the older ones) as well as the Pentax lovers are more of the "do it yourself" type guys, the ones that don't mind (actually love) finding unique and inventive ways to do things and make things for their camera.......It seems like they are the type of person that would rather get dirty and restore an old car and love it their whole time (even after they have pulled out their hair) and the Nikon/Cannon people are the ones that will buy based on what others tell them, trends, or whether it is newer and/or bigger.........these seem like the people that will buy and old car and them pay someone to do all the work.

The sad thing is that my first real post was in the digital printing (and all that garbage) section because I have no clue about a bunch of stuff with digital.

Disclaimer: These are my thoughts and my thoughts only........ this does not mean that all Nikon/Canon lovers are useless tools (even though they do stick out like useless tools) and I do realize that there are Pentax lovers that use a Nikon/Canon equipment because they are Pros and there is more equipment out there available from these larger companies. And there are also those that fall to the "darkside" and may never be turned back to the light.

Disclaimers Disclaimer: by "darkside" I in no way meant that Nikon/Canon equate to the most evil, deceitful, and manipulative group named the Sith and also did not intend to equate Pentax (even though I did) to any group of lightside "Jedi" and make it seem that the only way to redeem yourself would be to recognize the error of your ways and worship (I meant buy) a Pentax and leave your old evil ways behind.

08-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
very good grasshopper. very good.