Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Cairns, Queensland

I am so brand new to DSLR photography that I have not even taken possession of my kx and smc da 35mm f2.8 ltd. macro that are on order. Apparently my lens is in a container on a ship some place between Japan and Australia. Consequently, I am as toey as a Roman sandle at present without my new 'toy'.

I have made the decision to turn my back on Canon and reinvent myself with Pentax largely due to not requiring FF and the fantastic selection and build quality of Pentax primes at a better price than Canon. My logic is to invest more in lens first and then buy a better body, ring flash etc. at some later stage.

My favorite subjects to shoot are flowers and nudes.

I look forward to participating in the forums.

Regards,
Darren.

08-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome! You've definitely turned to the right brand if you're looking at affordable primes and a large used lens selection.

You might be interested in browsing our lens section: Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
bugger - I now have competition for cheap Takumars etc at the second hand shops around Cairns....
Welcome - may see you in town sometime...
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Funny you say that Arjay, I have been keeping a look out for some cheap 2nd hand primes locally but have not bagged once yet. I suppose a lot of the old ones have fungus due to your environment?

08-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I keep them in an airconditioned room in an open closet and open shelving so the climate isn't such an issue - have thought about a dry box but keep adding lenses instead. The dust is the bigger issue. Red Iron-oxide soils and moistue leads to rapid rust formation so I keep all my printers and computer gear covered and regularly dusted.

I am in Cairns three or four times a year and visit various stores and Pawn shops regularly over the last five years. Best score was a Vivitar 28 2.8CF in pristine condition from the pawn broker on Spence street. He didn't know what he had and some of his stuff was misnamed. Did a cash deal for a slightly reduced price. Cash Converters has general gear but rarely pentax friendly as you have probably found out.

Good luck with your searches... Let me know if you find two of anything worthwhile and I may be interested in the second copy...
08-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #6

Welcome Darren. Luckily rust and fungus aren't issues in Canberra! Another good source of old manual lenses is friends - I've had a few good buys from people who have an old K1000 or ME that their parents once used, with a great 50mm or 28mm lens.
Good hunting
Rod
08-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
bugger - I now have competition for cheap Takumars etc at the second hand shops around Cairns....
Welcome - may see you in town sometime...
I guess Bamaga and Cairns are next-door neighbours. Only 1,000km apart

08-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

At 8 corrugations per metre there are only 80,000,000 road corrugations and a few wallabies that separate the two places! Cairns is where Bamaga people go for R&R...
08-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, the ship will get there quicker than you think.
08-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the moral support Kerrowdown. In fact I supersized my order and changed to a K7 with the DA40 which will arrive tomorrow. I think it will work out well as a walk-a-round kit. As I wish to also shoot macro, I was getting a little nervous about the working distance with the DA35Macro when using a ring flash. I might purchase the 100 Macro WR in Taiwan (if I can find it cheap) as I will be spending 30 days there soon.