Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just a baby needing advice

Just joined the forum. Hi to all. I have been taking photos about 13 years and am just starting to find my nitch. I have found most of my joy in taking macro photos and am about to upgrade to the k7. Any advice on specific lenses I will need would be highly appreciated. I have never even taken a photography class.. just used the eyes and trial and error to create the small selection of photos I have. I have been told I do pretty well, but only by others who have no photography experience. I honestly cant wait to hear how it really is. Once I get that k7 I'm sure all of you will be annoyed to see how many photos i will post.

09-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

The Tamron 90 2.8 macro is a winner, but a lot of bucks. As is the Pentax.

But these are both auto everything, and with macro, you really don't need (or want) auto focusing, so consider looking at some of the older legacy manual macro lenses. Tons cheaper.
09-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tatum.brennan. Quote
Just joined the forum. Hi to all. I have been taking photos about 13 years and am just starting to find my nitch. I have found most of my joy in taking macro photos and am about to upgrade to the k7. Any advice on specific lenses I will need would be highly appreciated. I have never even taken a photography class.. just used the eyes and trial and error to create the small selection of photos I have. I have been told I do pretty well, but only by others who have no photography experience. I honestly cant wait to hear how it really is. Once I get that k7 I'm sure all of you will be annoyed to see how many photos i will post.
Welcome to the Club!!

I doubt we'll get annoyed, or at least I won't. I rather enjoy looking and what others can do using the same equipment I have.

As to your question, it is true, dedicated macro lenses are expensive (you could look in the marketplace
in search of a used one. It doesn't really matter what type of camera you mount the lens on but I do believe the K7 to be a good choice. This forum may offer some ideas and solutions.

Macro Photography - PentaxForums.com

Be sure to check out the lens database for guidance as well.

Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database

09-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

With no idea about budget, I would suggest the best being the Kiron/Lester Dine 105 f/2.8 macro or the Voigtlander 125 f/2.5 (whichever you can afford ).

But seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the dedicated macro lenses.
Want AF? Sigma's 70mm lens is highly acclaimed, Pentax's 100mm WR version is excellent (and weather sealed) and Tamron's 90mm offering is excellent value.
MF? Too many to choose from - just pick a 1:1 macro and you'll be impressed at what they can do for you...

09-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, as long as you don't show us all up.
09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
I do have some old vivitar lenses from my 35mm film pentax. Including a macro lense. I might just see how those work I have some photos from my point and shoot that I plan to share. Just a little olympus I've been playing with to hold me over til I get my k7.
09-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Welcome to the Club!!

I doubt we'll get annoyed, or at least I won't. I rather enjoy looking and what others can do using the same equipment I have.

As to your question, it is true, dedicated macro lenses are expensive (you could look in the marketplace
in search of a used one. It doesn't really matter what type of camera you mount the lens on but I do believe the K7 to be a good choice. This forum may offer some ideas and solutions.

Macro Photography - PentaxForums.com

Be sure to check out the lens database for guidance as well.

Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database

that goes for me as well, as I woint be annyed either.
The Truth about Photograthy is learning from your mistakes and approach it differently next time. As my signatnature says: it doesn't matter what you use in taking pictures, it only matters how you use what you have.
Enjoy your camera