Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just coming back to SLRs but this time a DSLR

Used various Minolta and Nikon SLRs 20+ years ago but haven't used one in nearly that long. I have been doing P&S cameras, mostly Sony, for the past 10 years with the children and sports and such. I've been tweaking the photos and have become less and less happy with them over the past year or so after looking back at some of my shots from the old SLR days.

Anyway, I've got a K-x on the way from Amazon. The reviews looked good and I really like that Pentax has kept the mounts the same so older lens can be mounted on the DSLR body. I'm thinking about getting a <50mm Prime lens and trying my hand at some macros.

I'm active on a variety of Watch related websites and go by the same name - Docrwm.

09-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome! Yup, the mount on the K-x is the same (K-mount) as on other Pentax bayonet SLRs/DSLRs.

See here for a listing of Pentax lenses: Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome! Yup, the mount on the K-x is the same (K-mount) as on other Pentax bayonet SLRs/DSLRs.

See here for a listing of Pentax lenses: Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database
Thanks Adam. It's a terrific bonus and makes trying out manual focus lenses so much more economical. So if I want to do Macro shots I can try out some really nice glass that's older - wouldn't want everything auto for macros anyway.

Thanks for pointing me to the Lens List and Review database too - terrific resource!
09-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Welcome, Doc!

Amazingly, though it's still relatively economical, the price of older M42 (screw mount) Takumars has been going through the roof, because it's such classic glass.

A year ago, you could get an M42 Super Tak or Super Multi-Coated Tak 50 1.4 for between $25 and $50.

Now, the prices are between $75 and $125 for the same lens(es).

So if you plan on building a classic lens collection (like I'm still doing--see my signature), buy soon while the buying is still good.

The prices are getting RIDICULOUS.

09-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Welcome, Doc!

Amazingly, though it's still relatively economical, the price of older M42 (screw mount) Takumars has been going through the roof, because it's such classic glass.

A year ago, you could get an M42 Super Tak or Super Multi-Coated Tak 50 1.4 for between $25 and $50.

Now, the prices are between $75 and $125 for the same lens(es).

So if you plan on building a classic lens collection (like I'm still doing--see my signature), buy soon while the buying is still good.

The prices are getting RIDICULOUS.
Thanks for the heads up. Thats a shame that the prices are on the rise. Probably the economy with folks buying used more often than new and saving some money.

I'd like a good starter prime lens like a 50 <f2 - any suggestions for a quality lens that won't break the bank?