Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Hey from Portland

Hello, I thought I'd stop in and say 'hi' before I start asking questions! I've been shooting with my Pentax Ist DL for about 3 years now, and I've been looking to upgrade to one of the new K-Rs or a K-X. I'm not sure if this is the place to ask or not.

09-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. You should ask that question in the DSLR Discussion section, but in my opinion I think you should get the Kx. If you buy a Kx new you can save about $250, if you buy a used Kx you can save about $300-350 and with that you can buy a very nice lens.

I really don't think the new Kr features are worth the extra $200-400 it will take to buy it. Plus (and again this is just my opinion) the new features are not "necessary", they would just be "nice" to have but $300 dollars would be nicer.
09-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mike,
Welcome to a fellow Vancouver/Portland metro person. There is a Portland area social group on this Web site and I will send you an invitation. The intent is to stage a meet-up in the near future to do some group shooting.

Steve
09-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRathjen Quote
Hello, I thought I'd stop in and say 'hi' before I start asking questions! I've been shooting with my Pentax Ist DL for about 3 years now, and I've been looking to upgrade to one of the new K-Rs or a K-X. I'm not sure if this is the place to ask or not.
I think that you should take a commuter plane to Coos bay, and take a car to Bandon, and play a round of golf!!

Welcome to the forum!

09-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome, you'll find a nice handful Portland/VancouverWA users here.

Don't dismiss the K-r on price just yet. Street prices tend to be lower than MSRP. Further, Pentax generally runs promotions/rebates with their new gear. You could potentially save a bundle over street price and buy a boatload of lenses too.

I'm hoping the K-r comes as a kit with the new DAL35 and rebates on the 21mm, 40mm, and 100mm. Then I'll break the bank and die happy.
09-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the information! I'll be excited to see some group shoots around the Portland area.

I'd like to read some reviews on the K-R before I look more into it, but it might be a while since it just came out recently (I think).