Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Yay! Back to an slr! (a little cropped, but still an slr)

I have my wife to thank for this; we were out camping and she borrowed a friend's canon dslr, shot about 10 great pics in 30 seconds, and said she had to have one. Given our finances I said no, but then I looked around and found the k2000 at about $400. Once I'd adjusted her thinking from "buying her a camera" to "buying us a camera" I went ahead and ordered it from Adorama. 2nd day, because I was impatient.

Day after: still hadn't shipped. Confusion, but I didn't have time to sit on hold while trying to get an explanation.

2 days after: shipped, so I knew it was coming. But I had to wait 2 days from the shipping date.

4 days after: I guess Adorama had run out of the k2000 w/18-55, because it arrived and when I opened the box it had both the 18-55 AND the 50-200! We spent the next weekend enjoying an autofocus slr.

My dad was coming to visit so I asked him to check for older pentax lenses. I'd forgotten about some lenses I'd picked up cheap (dinged filter threads) and they were in storage at his place. He arrived with my smc a 50mm 1.4 and my smc macro m 100mm 4.0. Both worked flawlessly after changing settings according to some other posts on this forum.

Continuing my quest to gear up on the cheap I found an awesome tweed and leather vintage camera bag on that auction site for $27, a ballhead tripod (with bag) on amazon for $50, a 28mm 2.8 for around 15 bucks, and a vivitar 35-70 zoom for $20 (great for a walk around lens, couldn't find any info in the database but it seems very sharp for such a cheap lens). Future plans: I've got a 720nm cheap ir filter that seems to do ok exposures if I put it on the tripod and shoot for 30 seconds with the lens wide open (I'd like to hear others' experiences/advice on this; it works but 30 seconds is a long time), and I just managed to shark an old m42 mount kopil bellowsmat (not a bellowscope; this thing has shift and tilt! This was just about the only site I could find that even mentioned it: Kobayashi Seiki - Camerapedia.org). An enlarger lens is on the way, beautiful macros forthcoming.

Anyhow, I think at this point I'm out about 800 bucks, but the joy (fanaticism?) of photography is back. And aside from not really having much reach beyond 200mm (except through my crummy 2x tc, which really shouldn't count), I think I'm about set for gear. I've set a goal, 1 good shot a day, which I've met for the last 3 weeks. I'm loving digital; immediate "development", can shoot the same thing 40 times and just delete the 39 bad shots. It's more of a shotgun approach, but hopefully I'll have it more refined when I have that 1 chance at shooting nessie or sasquatch.

I'd love some replies to the following topics if anyone has experience/advice:

1. Shooting IR with an unmodified body and a 720nm filter. Is 30 seconds in full sun right?!?
2. Refurbishing old bellows; is there a particular cleaner I should use on the bellows themselves to ensure that no dust will end up on my sensor?
3. Long lenses: what would be the cheapest, lightest way to get around 300-400mm and not sigh in dismay when I look at the resulting pics?

-richard

09-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! FYI, I recommend you post your more specific questions in their respective categories, as this section is hidden from guests and frequented less than the others.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: