Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D user in Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Hi. I was born in 1940 and have done photography, on and off, for about fifty years now. The price of wet-darkroom supplies led me to stop doing darkroom work several years ago, and I couldn't get enthusiastic about using commercial labs as an amateur unable to afford customizing. So digital photography has been a wonderful thing for me.

I use Panasonic, Fuji, and Pentax cameras; at the moment my only Pentax camera is the K100D; I have the kit lens, and the Pentax 40-mm "limited" pancake lens, a Focal 135-mm film-camera lens, a Tokina 28-mm film-camera lens, and a Tokina 70-200-mm film-camera lens in addition. To my mind one of the best features of Pentax is the ability to use any K-mount lens ever made. I think this is also very generous of Pentax -- the other mfrs. require you to buy new lenses in many cases. I like the solid construction of the camera but am not at all happy with its bulk, though I realize that, incredibly, it's one of the smaller DSLR's. Someday these cameras are going to be something to laugh at. (I don't understand why DSLR's have to be half-again as bulky as the best film SLR's.)

My photography tends to be "abstract" (for want of a better word) or images where pattern, texture, or even just the photographic tonal quality is the predominant interest. I am at Flickr: Photos from JRR KC and also on my own webspace at mindful dragon -- photos etc..

As long as Pentax remains in business, I do not think I would consider buying another expensive camera not made by Pentax. They have been innovators, maintain a low profile, are generous to users (see above), and have made, and do make, some really fine cameras and some of the best lenses in the world. It's hard to better those attributes.

09-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #2

Hi neighbor...almost. I can't believe you live a mile from the Nelson Art Gallery. It was a field trip for us every year in grade school and now I haven't been in ages. In fact, I wasn't sure you could shoot inside. Moved to Topeka with the family when I was 15 and trust me that wasn't yesterday - LOL. (1972) I also have the K100D and am a Panasonic fan. Husband uses the FZ20 and seriously worry what will become of him if it ever dies We've had a crazy summer, but I still want to get down your way to shoot the Plaza and the fontains - and of course the Ren. Festival.
09-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'm another "neighbor." I'm up in St. Joe myself...just joined this forum and am enjoying it very much so far.
09-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

Oh I love St. Joe. It's such a beautiful old town. I'm particularly drawn to old buildings and houses and St. Joe is loaded with them. Can't wait to see your photos.