Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Indiana

Hi everybody,

I am from Indiana. Just till now i was using p&s Panasonic Lumix FZ20K which served me well for more than 4 years. It is a great p&s with Leica lens. It is still in a great condition but i wanted to get into DSLR for a while now. Main problem was i had not enough control over DOF. Though i am not serious photographer i enjoy others great photos and dream to take similar once one day.

So, early September i got my Pentax K-X with 2 lens kit: 18-55mm and 55-300mm. Main reasons of Pentax choice: best value for money and great choice of cheap old prime lenses (though with manual focus). I used it for several photo-sessions and so far satisfied with it. Especially I love IQ in low light which i wasn't getting with p&s.

I've read about "mirror slap" issue some users having but not exactly sure how test mine. I did test with 1/60-1/125 shutter speeds and not all photos were sharp but some were sharp enough to blame " blurred/ghosted" ones on my holding technique. Can someone please advice what steps to take in order to test if camera has any "mirror slap" issues?

Last edited by Black_ronin; 09-19-2010 at 11:57 PM.
09-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if you post your question in the Pentax Beginners Corner you'll be more likely to get an answer.
09-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #3

An Indy welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your system!
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from West Lafayette.

Be warned, the availability of old lenses can be a problem as you start collecting them (Lens Buying Addiction).

09-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum, if you post your question in the Pentax Beginners Corner you'll be more likely to get an answer.
Will do. Thanks for advice!

QuoteOriginally posted by klh:
Be warned, the availability of old lenses can be a problem as you start collecting them (Lens Buying Addiction)

I think it is already started - over weekend i bought SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1.7. LOL. I got it for $63 shipped on ebay. Seems not so cheap but couldn't wait longer to play with it. Though little nervous of using MF.

Last edited by Black_ronin; 09-20-2010 at 10:40 PM.
09-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_ronin Quote
I think it is already started - over weekend i bought SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1.7. LOL. I got it for $63 shipped on ebay. Seems not so cheap but couldn't wait longer to play with it. Though little nervous of using MF.
Ah, that's the same lens that started LBA for me. I had some old Vivitar MF lenses from my film days, but that was the first high quality MF lens I bought. Pretty soon you'll be scouring Craigslist and every garage sale you can find for bargains.

As for the MF, you'll catch on quick. I often use it even with my AF lenses to get a more precise focus with fast apertures. You may want to buy a split focus screen to help with that (well worth it).