Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

A gentle wave/hi from Sterling, Virginia

Perhaps you could picture me waving gently with my wrist slightly above my waistline, a shy smile and a raised brow! Hi - this is a middle-aged father of a 2-year old girl, and the husband to a lovely wife not sold to the idea of DSLR cameras in the first place. Through trickery, deceit, and evil timing (holiday season/birthday/family get-together etc.), I managed to get a foot in the door by convincing my wife to let me buy a K200D with a kit-lens (18-55, f3.5-5.6). Just like Obama wasn't able to keep his promise of under 8% unemployment, I couldn't keep my promise of good indoor photographs of my daughter under low light conditions without a flash. Do you know anyone who has managed that with the kit lens? If you do, take this number and call my wife!

Anyway, Obama is lucky, he gets billions to spend. Here I languish unable to convince my lovely boss that I was dealt a weak hand with the kit-lens. Through another round of trickery, deceit, and evil bending of house-rules (I need the Senate approval at home to pass any budget bill exceeding a nominal amount of say $10), I have the ability to sneak my second foot in the door. I feel I can have only one shot in the dark - by going for an f/1.4. Experts.. agree?

Till lens do us part. Amen!

09-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can do it with the K5...but it will cost you! Or...a Nokton 58mm F 1.4 will get it done at a decent price...is the perfect range for portraits, it is why I bought it.
Regards!

I shoot Squirrels....but it does people too! Even at F 1.4!
[IMG] [/IMG]
09-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Rupert for responding. That's a beautiful photograph!

I am researching the Voigtlander Nokton. AF is important to me though I figure over time I might be able to train myself for manual focus. However, if it's manual focus that I am going with, my key decision is whether to stick to Pentax manual lenses OR go for Nokton. Still researching.. will post again after I finish my research.