Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Hello from Suffolk, England

I'm Scott and brought my fist dSLR about a moth back now. It was a choice between the Nikon D5000 or the Pentax K-x. After reading of reviews and other internet sources I picked the K-x and very glad of it.

I brought it from Currys for 449 but after searching I found a 5% voucher which then took the price down to 429.
The kit came with the smc DA 18-55mm lens and another smc DA 50-200mm lens.

I then brought from Amazon a;
Lowpro 140 carry case @ 13
Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card @ 11
Hoya UV filter @ 21
Energize Re-Charable AA Batterys inc Charger @ 20
3 LCD Screen Protectors @ 3

I am watching a couple of Pentax 50mm f1.7 lens as I heard this is a great lens?
I have noticed there is the Pentax-A or Pentax-M type so which one should I try and buy? Also the K mount should fit my K-x right?

I am also going to join a Digital Photography - Beginners course in November which is held at my local College. It runs for 5 weeks on Thursday nights between 6.30-8.30 and cost a sum of 43.

Course Content;
"You will learn basic elements of photography, such as the relationshop between ISO, Aperture and speed of shot, (how much light is allowed to enter the camera to create the picture). This will help you to understand which setting to use on your camera. It will also give you the ability to know how your photo will turn out rather than hoping for the best! You will cover topics such as: ISO, Semi-automatic, Shutter, Aperture, manual settings. Composition of a photograph. Bracketing (take three shots to capture the perfect image). Focusing (make sure you focus correctly. Depth of Field (how much of the shot is sharp or sof focus). How to take shots of people, flowers, landscapes, seascapes, abstract artistic work, etc. We will look at examples of successful work to support your learning."

I am looking forward to this course and I believe it will help me out alot! I am slowly beginning to understand this factors by reading the Pentax K-x manual, dSLR for Dummies and videos from Youtube.

I have taken thousands of photos of the past month, some of which I love and some so not. I would like to upload some to get comments & criticism and advice of what I can do to improve my photo's. Where would be the best place for this?

Many Thanks

Scott

09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, welcome to this place, it is Big and it is Interesting! There are various Forums here for most any activity you desire, or desire to learn....and there is plenty you will need to and want to learn! It can be a lot of fun, and you already sound excited, so it will be easier for you than some.

There are numerous areas here where you can post your photos and seek advise or just get feedback if you ask. I suggest you explore the site for a while and get the "hang" of it and then just jump in!
Best Regards!
09-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Scott.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.
You'll have a ball at your course.
The fast fifty is as good as any for your purposes, but I'd suggest getting the A version - that way you can control aperture on the camera rather than having to fiddle with the process demanded by the crippled KAF2 mount.
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Sah

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
First, welcome to this place, it is Big and it is Interesting! There are various Forums here for most any activity you desire, or desire to learn....and there is plenty you will need to and want to learn! It can be a lot of fun, and you already sound excited, so it will be easier for you than some.

There are numerous areas here where you can post your photos and seek advise or just get feedback if you ask. I suggest you explore the site for a while and get the "hang" of it and then just jump in!
Best Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome Scott.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.
You'll have a ball at your course.
The fast fifty is as good as any for your purposes, but I'd suggest getting the A version - that way you can control aperture on the camera rather than having to fiddle with the process demanded by the crippled KAF2 mount.
Hi to you both and thanks
I have posted some of my Photographs here, please take a lot and post your Comments & Criticisum.
I will also be keeping an eye out for the A version of the fast fifty as I found out the information you posted such as the aperture control earlier today.

I also have posted this thread twice, so maybe a Mod could delete the other thread?

Cheers