Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from Norway

Hi

I`m just drifted in here on somewhat of a "whim" - working on getting back into the DSLR scene again after something like 15 years of SLR abstaining.

I`ve been shooting PS digitals but wanted something more, and after a lot of researching I ended up with a K-7 package with the 18-55 and 50-200 mm kit lenses and the AF540 Flash. Propper and fitting, as I started out with a Pentax ME Super around 81.

Earlier experiences with SLRs are general and feature photography, some B/W darkroom stuff, some ad/product photos etcetra.

I find the major obstacle now, is to get into the digital processing - and getting used to lugging around a DSLR, but I seriously enjoy the "tweaking" possibilities the system camera gives me over the PS.

Anyhow - good to be aboard and looking forward to learing the ropes on the forum.

09-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Feel free to holler if you ever need any help

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard!
08-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
Back again...

After spending much of the last decade with M43 Lumixes, for which I sold the K7 and a sizable Canon system to fund, I fancied trying out a CCD sensored Dslr, so found a Pentax K10D for $50.

Produced in March 07, with 26K shutter actuations on. Firmware 1.30. Came along with the kit 18-55 and a Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW. Will horse around with the K10D a bit, but primary system will be the M43, will probably pick up a weatherproofed lens, I have some "plans" in regards of possibly doing a autumn landscape project with the Pentax.

08-06-2022, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, and happy you were able to find a Pentax CCD to play around with, That LowePro sling alone is probably worth close to the $50 it's costing you. Have fun and as Adam said, if you have questions we have really helpful and experienced members who can help.
08-07-2022, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to both the forum and photography the Pentax way.
08-07-2022, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany! Glad you came back.

08-07-2022, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to both the forum and photography the Pentax way.
Thanks mate!

I started out with a Pentax MG back around 1981ish, along with a trio of primes (28/3.5, 50/1.7 and 135/3.5), so even though I drifted from the straight and narrow it is a brand that has imprinted on me, hard.
08-08-2022, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome (back) to the forums!

If shopping for a WR lens on a budget, I can highly recommend the 18-135. For a lot of shooting, it's probably the only lens one would need, and it's a real bargain secondhand.
08-09-2022, 06:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Welcome (back) to the forums!

If shopping for a WR lens on a budget, I can highly recommend the 18-135. For a lot of shooting, it's probably the only lens one would need, and it's a real bargain secondhand.
Duly noted, thanks for the tip! There is one in the local classifieds that I am oogling. A green ring one, which if I have understood it correctly, is a MkI with the red ring ones being newer and with some sort of updated coating? Green is fine by me, btw.

I have without any comparisons as such, one of the Lumix 14-140 MkIIs, which I have used a bit so some familiarity with that sort of lenses I have, am not spooked by a General Purpose lens at all.
08-09-2022, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JensMA Quote
A green ring one, which if I have understood it correctly, is a MkI with the red ring ones being newer and with some sort of updated coating?

For that lens, so far as I know, there is only the one version.

There are several other lenses that went from green ring (with SMC coating) to red ring (with HD coating), so you're surely thinking of those ones. But with those other lenses, and even if I'm mistaken about this one, the versions aren't too far different, so I would bet you'll be happy with whatever is available for a good deal.

It really is a great lens. I'm almost always a prime shooter with my FF K1, but when I got a crop K70 (and now a KP) I decided to buy some zoom lenses for that system. I first got a pair of Tamron and Sigma F2.8 zooms, and then I got the 18-135 thinking it would be only for times when I needed WR. However, I now pretty much find myself using only the 18-135.