Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #1

Cześć

Greetings from Poland!

Name's Mikołaj (that's Nicholas, in case you dont know). I study international relationships at the University of Wroclaw. That's my fifth and final year. My master degree work is going to cover wikileaks and its realionship with civil society (alongside with habermas' public sphere). I'm a computer wiz, occasionaly fixing software and hardware problems. I'm pretty much a beginner in commercial photography. Previously done some shoots as a hobby and passion of mine. Started out with a zenit camera with helios lens, then moved on to some compact film cameras, got a first digital one (agfa, cant recall the exact model). Soon, as a joint purchase with my brother, we've bought our first DSLR - nikon d70s with 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 nikkor. It really got lots of action (easily more than 15 k shots) and yet it is still fully operational. My workflow, dating back to the purchase of the d70s is 100% RAW and I'm fully convinced i've made the right choice. The possibilities... well, you know ; ]. Since I was getting really proficient with all the knowledge behind the shot and got really appreciated (though not in any official way, just among friends) for some of my early, amateur-ish works, I figured I could just as well go commercial. Since serious nikon bodies cost a lot, and since my fellow photographer introduced me to pentax, I've decided to go for a k-7. Then came a first workhorse lens (28-75 tamron f/2.8) and flash (540 fgz). Then came lots of accessories. So far so good, I've done two weddings, two child sessions, one engagement and a karate sports session. I've two more weddings in schedule and i'm aiming to start giving courses in photography. Still, I' pretty much an educated amateur in comparison to some of the fellows out there in the neighbourhood, so there's still a lot of work ahead of me. As of now I've got enough equipment to shoot comfortably, yet there are still more purchases to be made. I need a:

==> secondary memory and battery. That's a must.

==> wide, high quality, prime ultrasonic lens. Tamron is doing great, but its also way too loud and the f/2.8 aperture forces me to use flash all the time, which is indiscreet and annoying. I'm in quite a bind if it comes to choosing between sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM and the announced 85mm. On the one hand, 50 mm is not a very good lens for portraits, on the other, the 85mm will be hard to use in interiors that do not offer a lot in terms of maneuvering - like churches! No, I'm not going to buy the overpriced pentax lens.

==> another flash, maybe a smaller pentax unit. Seriously, I'm not gonna dismount the one on the tripod and onto the camera each time I need to quickly catch the moment, and the built in aint gonna cut it (unless I go"strobist-style" on the built in and make a diffuser for it)

==> cactus RF for my setup! The flash wireless is annoying, and I really don't neet a pocket wizard. And can't afford it yet ; ]

==> lightroom, commercial and educational license (plan to integrate it into courses) [awesome software, btw]

==> secondary body (the way things go, the next body i'm going to buy is k-3(that will prodably be the number) since k-5 is not much of an improvement over k-7 (unless that safox IX really does wonders to autofocusing ; ])

So, that's about it. Hope I've encouraged some of you to go commercial and do what you really love doing - photography, that is : ].

Now I'm gonna go and post here

Cheers and see you on the battlefield!

09-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Nicholas, nice that there's another IR graduate into Pentax. I did my Degree and Masters at St.Andrews under Wilkinson, doing terrorism stuff. Good luck =)
09-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy.
10-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, will do!

10-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, from another Pole.