Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #1

hello from the UK (switching to Pentax)

hello, I'm dCap

I joined the forum about a week ago and read all 31 or so pages of the the big long thread on the Pentax K-5, phew, do I get a badge for reading it all?

I've been shooting since 1987, as a keen amateur. I was Canon from 1987-2004, wish a dash of Olympus OM-1 and Mamiya TLR and RB67 during that time. Then I dumped Canon and went to KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D in Jan-05. I quit KM when the 7Ds were failing due to a design flaw and KM refused to help, sold to Sony, I had the Sony a100 for a short period. Then I went to Nikon, had the D700 for about 18 months. Now I'm in Olympus (E-30 + two pro zooms) but they've pretty well quit the dSLR market now. So time to find a new system.

My plan is to get a Pentax K-5 with Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f2 and leave it at that.

I've shot a little over 136,000 images since Jan-05, clocked several cameras (passed the 10k mark and seen the frame number return to 0001) ... now I shoot less, a lot less, and am switching to editing a have a new website to design next week and over the next few months.

What do I shoot? Stuff now. I used to shoot animals, a lot, 1987-2008 ... but now I'm more keen to shoot other things. I love shooting a project. In fact I'm very project focussed. I shoot a pic-a-day through 2008 (366x images) and then carried on until day 627 when I could take no more. Before that I set-up and shot a monthly pic-a-day with one prime lens in a Minolta forum.

I love to shoot but have neglected my shooting for a good few months, at the moment I'm editing my archive and ready to get a camera in hand and jump into a new project. 2011 I'll be doing a 52 locations, one a week. Shoot what I see.

I've been called a mac fan boy, but today I bought a PC desktop and will list my macs on eBay. I go with the tool that I fancy at the time, not dedicated to any one system. Windows 7 seems pretty good, not as nice as the Mac OS, but I only use LightRoom and Chrome, so either platform is fine. My new PC is a big power upgrade at 1/3 the apple price for a desktop and will replace my lovely mac laptop.

The K-5 spec really impresses me, and the lens options seem pretty sweet. Canon QC is in the toilet and Nikon prices are through the roof. So a decent alternative is where I'll go. On paper the K-5 looks sweet, pro body build in a consumer size and weight, after having the D700 this will seem small ... I'll wait and read a few reviews and grab a K-5 in Dec/Jan. In the meantime its time to learn Pentax (the K-5 will be my first ever Pentax!)

bit of a ramble, but that' me.

some of my photos
Flickr: dCapFoto's Photostream

10-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting lens choice there- but I agree, the K-5's definitely got a lot of desirable features. Welcome!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello, you've got some nice photos on your Flickr stream. If you like the Voightlander Ultron, you should also check out the DA Limited line from Pentax, the DA15, DA21, DA35, DA40 and DA70 all seem well loved by their owners.
10-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dCap Quote
But today I bought a PC desktop and will list my macs on eBay.
Welcome.

But I can see by this that we're not going to be good friends.

10-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on changing to Pentax. Too bad about switching to PC, but Win 7 does work alot better than previous MS operating systems.

Your Flickr does show some very interesting images. Very thought provoking.
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

Welcome to the SMC world!
10-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the welcome all. I'm super impressed with my new PC, as a power tower is a similar spec to a MacPro for about 1/4-1/3 the price. I had the realisation that I was relying on no apple software. However, my MacBookPro 15" is such a good machine that I will probably keep it, so make that 'will sell my 2x olde macs, and keep my surfing machine'

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Hello, you've got some nice photos on your Flickr stream. If you like the Voightlander Ultron, you should also check out the DA Limited line from Pentax, the DA15, DA21, DA35, DA40 and DA70 all seem well loved by their owners.
ta, I've been looking at the Pentax lenses too. The 40/2.8 nearly got me into the Pentax system a few years ago. But I have strong feelings for the Ultron, and the f2 gives me that little bit more low light ... it also comes with a matches close-up filter giving 1/4 size 'macro' shots. Not a bad package.

That said the Pentax lenses give me AF!

At the mo, I'm also considering the new 35/2.4

thanks for the welcome
10-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

For some cheap fun, pick yourself up a Helios 44-2.

Do you have an M42-K adapter? If not, keep your eyes open for the original Pentax one. I know they're hard to come by or ridiculously expensive in Europe, which makes no sense.