Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Enough of the lurking!

I've been registered for a couple of days, so I thought I'd come out and introduce myself.

I'm the younger and prettier of the two Davis' on these boards. (Hi Dad!)

I study physical/biological anthropology at the University of New Mexico, and work at Best Buy in the camera department with a bunch of guys who all shoot Canon. Until very recently I was the only 'weirdo' still shooting film (with a Pentax SLR and a Holga!), while they all blabbed on about their digital Rebel, Rebel-XT, 30D, SD630, and SD700. Yuck!

Now, I've got the first K10D in the house (judging by serial numbers). It might be the first in NM, but all that really matters is that I beat the old man. Back in HS, I shot mostly sports for the newspaper and yearbook, but I'm hoping to do a bit more with this new camera.

Last edited by bdavis; 12-02-2006 at 02:35 PM.
12-03-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Beth,

OK; guess I'll acknowledge that you're my daughter; even with the 'younger and prettier' quip and calling me 'old man' and all. Technically you are younger and prettier, but only on some days do I feel like an old man.

I see this is like most forums, busy on weekdays, very slow on weekends-let's hope it's because people are using their cameras!

Folks, Beth really is a nice young lady; smart, quick witted, fun to be around. She gets it from her mother; I'm the nasty, cranky, uppity, techno snob.

Her job gives her hands-on experience with much of the new (competitors) equipment-especially at the entry/mid-level end (but they do carry that 5D or D5 thingy Canon calls a camera). This situation can be a great resource!

Stop in and say "Hi" to her; she's nice. And I promise, I won't butt-in as the over-protective father (unless there is blood and bones are sticking out). I might even let her call me ''John up in the forums-bet she can't do it.
12-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to both Beth & pop

Nice to see some more NM / ABQ folks around. I know of a couple others from the 'other' forum (DPR). If you're up for it, we should try to organize a Pentax get-together / photoshoot some time. I had a blast participating in two back East.
http://www.pbase.com/swengineer/dpr_meetup

Major complication at the moment: I'm living in UT and only get home a few days /month (a bit longer on holidays though).

-Mark

PS. I'd love to drop by the store and say "Hi" (and do some late Xmas shopping) but you gotta say which one. Last I counted, ABQ had at least 2...
12-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard Beth. Coinsidentaly I was in Best Buy today here in my neck of the woods. Only Pentax on the shelf are the P&S. They sell DSLR at your store. Oh, take that back they sold Dslr's here but only of the Canon and Nikon name.

Welcome again and look forward to your posts.

12-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome. Can we look forward to some sports action posts or are you not dealing in that style much anymore?
12-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Welcome aboard!
12-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
vievetrick, we have to order in all Pentax stuff at my store, including the P&S. For a long time, there weren't any DSLRs in the system, but I checked recently and the K100 is in, and the company has issued a SKU for the K10. Woo! Don't expect to see them on the shelves though.

Mark, do come in and say hi! I work at the Eubank store, and not at the one on the West Side.

Also, I'd like to do some sports shooting, however I've got to make it though my final exams for this semester before I can get my act in gear!
12-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome Beth! New Mexico is on my list of places I really want to see. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures from you and the "old man"

12-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Beth and welcome from Canada!

I have an online friend who is a fly fisherman from Farmington, NM. I hear the world famous river there (darn can't remember the name) is a beautiful area.
Have you proven to your canon owner friends that the k10 rocks?
hope they are jealous!
I am still waiting for my k10.... in the mean time I am just an armchair photographer

like I said, welcome and looking forward to seeing your talents

cheers

randy
12-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Randy, those Canon guys are so thick-headed, so I haven't wasted my time. I've been too busy with my own stuff. Actually, speaking of fly-fishing, I've been working with my co-teacher for the past couple weeks on a proposal for a "Gone Fishin'" course in UNM's honors program. We're planning on a few trips for the class to local fishing spots, and I'm hoping to get some good shots from that next fall.

Hey, Carol, I think we need to be careful with the "old man" label. I might have touched a nerve!
12-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #11

Welcome, Beth.

Ever get a chance to see Gila Cliff Dwellings? I stopped there on one of my cross-country trips. Would love to see any cliff dwelling photos you might have.