Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Saint Paul, MN

Hello everyone,

I've been cruising the forums here for a couple weeks. I had been using my first DSLR (a Canon Rebel XS) for a couple months and realized that I'd essentially never be able to afford decent EOS lenses. After a bit of digging (mostly here--thanks for all the great info, everyone), I decided Pentax was the way to go, with some really great old lenses and more-or-less full backwards compatibility. I got a great deal on some M series lenses (28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/3.5, and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5), a whole bag of filters, and an old MX SLR body. That sealed the deal--a bag of great little metal lenses! I immediately sold my Rebel XS + kit + 50mm lens on craigslist and picked up a used k10D (~750 clicks) + kit (for less $$!). The K10 body and kit lens are a world apart from my old Rebel XS setup in terms of quality and features. I only wish I had picked up the K10 first!

Anyway, this place has been an invaluable source of info as I've become acquainted with my new gear. Hopefully I can contribute as I learn the ropes.

Cheers,
Kris

Last edited by kkersten; 10-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.
10-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I had the K10D before my K20D and loved it! It is a fine camera and I have many shots I cherish from it.
I've been to your parts a couple of times....once in a January many years ago...once was enough! The day I left here on a Jan 3rd at 7pm it was 72F, and when I arrived at near midnight at the (what was fairly new then) Airport there was three feet of snow and it was 17F. I had on a sport coat.....
This is more to my liking......stay warm up there!

Best Regards and enjoy the Forum here!
[IMG][/IMG]
10-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Welcome, Kris! You should check out the M-club thread in the lens section, your wonderful lenses can start contributing there right away! (and you may notice some of the locations shown in that thread, I'm from mpls.)

(below taken with M 28 f/2.8)

10-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The day I left here on a Jan 3rd at 7pm it was 72F, and when I arrived at near midnight at the (what was fairly new then) Airport there was three feet of snow and it was 17F.
Jan 3rd is a questionable time to visit the twin cities! (You must have had a reason other than just a visit.) At any rate, I'm happy to hear that the K10 served you well. Coming from a Rebel XS, this K10 is absolutely extraordinary.

10-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Welcome, Kris! You should check out the M-club thread in the lens section, your wonderful lenses can start contributing there right away! (and you may notice some of the locations shown in that thread, I'm from mpls.)
Thanks for the welcome, J. I'll dig through the M-club posts right away. A couple questions: the grain bin photo, is that the plant on Hiawatha, looking east? It looks familiar. And the photo in this thread: I thought for a second that it was on lake Harriet, but I don't think it is. Is that on the SW corner of lake Calhoun?