Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Ananta Androscoggin

The Rain in Maine ...

. . . is coming from a Nor'easter today -- waayyyy to early in the season to suit most folks. My sympathies to those in the New Hampshire/Vermont region who got snowfall today.

I too started off with a roll-film camera, one of those basic boxes with two viewfinders on adjacent corners, for portrait/landscape. I remember using it when visiting the Desert of Maine as a kid.

Early in the service, I tried a used rangefinder for a couple of rolls, then traded it back in for my first SLR. This was a Fujica ST-701 with came with a 50mm, to which I added a 200mm Vivitar on a mount adapter a few weeks later, which lasted me 'till my second ship, where it was stolen.

A few years later, I re-started the hobby with my first K1000. Over time, I picked up the odd accessory to play with at flea marts and such for the most part, as well as a 70-210mm zoom.

I spent some time with an Argus C2 brick, then sidelined it to use a Voightlander Vitomatic II, which I keep fed with B&W film. The rangefinder mechanism is de-coupled, so I do my focusing by the hyperfocal markings on the lens. I think this is about when I also bought the Yashica A TLR, which I still don't use very much.

I was never too sure when the K1000 vanished, as my kids had used it a few times in high school. But I found my second one (with 35-70 lens) at a yard sale in prime condition for $20 which pleased me. But some time after we moved to where we now live its meter died.

My current primary cameras are an Optio E40 and a used P30t which puts all of my older accessories and lenses back to work.

I hate cars. I mean, I really hate owning a car, because every time my photo-hobby piggy bank has gotten two nickels to rub together towards getting a me a nice, shiny red K-x (or perhaps, should fortune go insane on my behalf, a K-r) the car has robbed it empty for repairs. Poor piggy.

Having never been to a camera class or seminar or anything else, this past Spring I took what passed as a "Photography" class at my community college, and mostly found confirmation of things I've been reading about for years, plus got to practice some things I had never been sure I quite understood about (like DOING three-light portrait setups with a muslin backdrop). I also handed the professor a DVD-R full of photography-related PDF books I had been collecting for a few years off the Internet.

Oh, and by-the-bye, the very first camera ever built in the New World is sitting right here in Maine, at the York Institute Museum in the small city of Saco. A couple of brothers had read through the descriptions from some French experimenters in the early-mid 19th century, and built and used this old wooden camera for their own experiments.

= = = = =
I totally spaced on it, but somewhere in its original box I have an Apple QuickTake 100

Last edited by Ananta Androscoggin; 10-15-2010 at 01:11 PM.
10-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's already snowing up there, that explains the early migration of the snowbirds we have been seeing here in the South. If fortune doesn't go insane on your behalf, you will like the K-X. I came from a K-1000 that also had the meter die, messed with P&S cameras for a while, then just fell in love with the K-X both for the price and the way it operates. Welcome to the forum, btw. The Northeaster up there is giving us a Northwester and blowing chilly air down here. It's too early for the temp to be dropping into the 40's at night. The trees down here started changing colors last month and normally they don't do that until Nov..

Last edited by subeeds; 10-15-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling