Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Hi from Canada, K-r & k1000 on the way, I'm Pentaxian now!

Hi All,

Im new to the forum and pentax for that matter. I have always enjoyed taking photos, but got into it more seriously during a 20 month world trip where I picked up my first dslr, a Nikon D60 w/ kit lens. I took many thousands of photos with that camera and learned a lot.

When looking to upgrade the lens for better IQ and low-light I realized that it would be better to just buy a new camera with the great bodies being released.

The K-r won the research and gut test and I have one on the way along with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 as my all-purpose lens. I plan to grab maybe a telephoto macro prime or a set of lovely pentax primes (much later).

I have also ordered a nice condition K1000 35mm slr along with SMC-A 50/2 and CPC 80-200 for my wife. For her it will be half hipster fashion accessory and half fun camera to take occaisional playful shots with. And we can even share lenses. how sweet...hehe

Well I don't really believe in this whole one-system for life branding BS but I guess I'm officially a Pentaxian for now!!

deimos

Last edited by Deimos; 10-16-2010 at 08:56 AM.
10-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Deimos, I've got a brother living in Canada, believe it is a beautiful country. Welcome to Pentax Forum. Hope to see some photo's of Canada, through your lens soon
10-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice intro. Welcome.
You have done very well in choosing the K-r + 17-50 combination - hard to beat in so many levels.

The K1000 is certainly a great fashion accessory. Hope the Mrs enjoys having it in her purse.
10-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all! Yeah the Tamron 17-50 just arrived today! (no body to mount it on yet though...). Hopefully the K-r next week!

Im not much of an expert but certainly compared to my old d60 kit lens, or the af-s 35 1.8, it looks and feels of a much nicer build, doesnt seem/feel cheap at all. For some reason being a fixed 2.8 I figured the lens would be much much larger and heavier. Im happy to report it seems barely larger than my old kit lens in diameter or length, although it is of course heavier, but certainly not too heavy.

Can't wait to test it out! Hopefully no BF/FF issues, altho the pros and shopkeepers I talk to say they havent seen any real issues, mostly just forum blabber.

10-22-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Thanks all! Yeah the Tamron 17-50 just arrived today! (no body to mount it on yet though...). Hopefully the K-r next week!

Im not much of an expert but certainly compared to my old d60 kit lens, or the af-s 35 1.8, it looks and feels of a much nicer build, doesnt seem/feel cheap at all. For some reason being a fixed 2.8 I figured the lens would be much much larger and heavier. Im happy to report it seems barely larger than my old kit lens in diameter or length, although it is of course heavier, but certainly not too heavy.

Can't wait to test it out! Hopefully no BF/FF issues, altho the pros and shopkeepers I talk to say they havent seen any real issues, mostly just forum blabber.
Deimos , I am Canadian to, wher have you bought your Camera and lenses
?
Thanks
Robert
10-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Deimos , I am Canadian to, wher have you bought your Camera and lenses
?
Thanks
Robert
pm sent. everything (k1000 and lenses aside) from foto source associated stores. best prices by far, that I found

"Foto Source Canada Inc. is the largest photo marketing group in Canada, made up of over 200 retail stores. These stores are owned and operated by local independent business people.

Our expert staff, coupled with our buying volume, enables Foto Source stores to offer exceptional service and competitive prices. It all comes down to providing outstanding value for you"