Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What's in a name?!

DigiNoob pretty much sums it up!

Hi all! My name is Jack and I am from Columbus, GA. As my name implies, I'm a newbie to digital photography. I took graphic arts and learned some photography and developing skills but that was many years ago. My first SLR camera was the Pentax K1000 (35mm) that I bought and used extensively while I was in the Army assigned to a US Embassy Flight detail in Central and South America. At some point, I graduated to the Pentax SuperProgram, and even later to a Pentax Zx-50. A couple of years ago, I purchased a digital Canon PowerShot S1 IS (I know... Canon... sacriledge!) but yearned to go back to an SLR.

As of last night, I bought a Pentax K10D body for $529 at BestBuyCameras.com - Welcome! to take advantage of the Pentax $50 rebate (bringing price down to $479).

I still have my Pentax lenses (SMC Pentax-F 1:4.7 - 6.6 80-200mm & 1:4 - 5.6 35-80mm) which I am told is backwards compatible to the K10D.

I almost went with the K100D, being that the same vendor had those for a very reasonable $279 (and then apply the $50 rebate!) but decided instead to GO BIG with the 10mp model.

My hobbies are computers, jeeps (got a restored '55 CJ5), sci-fi, travelling, camping and anything tiki, which I enjpy with my wife Susan. We got our own crude website if anyone is interested (The Storey Website).

I'm a mainframe computer programmer for TSYS, a Fortune 500 company. Susan is an Executive Assistant for Aflac (yeah, the company with the duck commercials!).

Sorry so long. Just seems a lot to share when introducing ones self!

Last edited by DigiNoob; 09-13-2007 at 11:04 AM.
09-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard Jack. The lenses you mention should work fine. One thing you may notice is the crop factor of the Pentax digital means those older lenses can't go as wide as they could on a 35mm film camera. You may want to invest in a wider zoom at some point, like the 18-55 which can be found for $100 or less or the 16-45 which goes for around $300.

I don't mean to alarm you, but I've not heard of BestBuyCameras, nor has ResellerRatings.com. When I went to their web site, nothing is there other than a start page. The reason I bring this up is that both the prices you quoted are quite good, almost too good. I hope your money actually bought you a camera. Perhaps they are selling grey-market goods (imports without a US warranty and not eligible for US rebates).

-E
09-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My apologies! My "cut and paste" feature is on the fritz so I hand-typed it incorrectly. The actual website link to the K100D is Pentax-K100D,-6.1Megapixel,-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body (notice bestPRICE not bestBUY). Thanks for the welcome and pointing out my error.

I did find this deal using Compare Prices - Comparison Shopping - Best Prices | ShopCartUSA.com which I have found to successfully locate the best possible prices. I've used this service before and not had a problem and bestpricecameras is a "featured merchant" so I hope all goes well. I did place a phone call first and talk to a rep for a while. Just the same, those that see this deal may want to await for me to have camera delivered so I can confirm their legitimacy.

Furthermore, the Pentax rebate had a list of merchants that do not qualify for the rebate so I'm hoping I don't have a problem with it. And bestpricecameras 'claim' everything is they sell is brand new and factory fresh with a full US warranty.

With the correction, any news of this particular merchant? Thanks!

[edit: those web addresses come out as links with descriptions instead of the url I typed. Must be a forum thing I gotta learn.]
09-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The expanded URL is a check-box feature in the "additional options" below the text box - "Automatically retrieve titles from external links".

Good luck with your purchase. That rings a bell as not a good place, but it only takes a couple "bad" posts to mess up the ratings. The prices are in the "too good to be true" range, however.

09-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What's in a name?!

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The expanded URL is a check-box feature in the "additional options" below the text box - "Automatically retrieve titles from external links".
Ah! Thanks for the info!

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Good luck with your purchase. That rings a bell as not a good place, but it only takes a couple "bad" posts to mess up the ratings. The prices are in the "too good to be true" range, however.
Hmmm... we'll have to see. It was a good deal and one I could not pass up. I did purposely use my Visa for the purchase, which has fraud protection, just in case! Because of that, I'm not worried I'll be out my money but I am concerned that if this is fraudulent, I'll find out after the $50 Pentax rebate expires at the end of this month. That would be a shame!
09-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Eic and Special K for your warnings on my purchase, and Eric, especially for the resale ratings website! After checking out the vendor I ordered from, I've read where there are around a hundred or more people who spoke of horrific experiences with Best Camera Prices dot Com. Apparently, they advertise tremendously low prices but then send you a confirmation stating that they need you to call to confirm shipping address. Once you call, they tell you that the item you purchased has no batteries, cables, software, etc... the stuff that comes standard with even the body kit alone. They then try to sell you those items that turn your bargain into a price higher than most other places. If you turn these 'extras' down, you'll never get the item you purchased at that price.

Based on what I read, I confirmed that they had not yet posted my purchase with VISA and so I quickly put my card on hold to prevent this activity. I suspect that y'all (yes, that's a legit word here in the south) have saved me a great deal of headache! Thank you!

Now... back to the drawing board! The K10D is probably going to be out of my budget now so I'll probably be looking at purchasng the K100D. Also from what I read here, the K100D may offer less white noise anyhow.
09-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

BuyDig.com is about the cheapest HONEST NY/NJ online seller, I bought my K100D from them and a Panasonic Camera prior and never had one problem yet and they ship FAST too... Looks like Best Price Cameras.com are nothing but a JOKE and are crooks!! Look at the prices for their accessories !! They sell to the beat of a different drummer!

09-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
rdc

Best Price Cameras [infinitiphoto.com, jandkcameras.com] Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

Have they called you yet? Have you reieved your camera yet?
09-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, Eric mentioned reseller ratings so I checked those out. That's what alerted me to cancel my order and contact my bank to not authorize this transaction against my VISA. They've been closed for a few days so haven't had the chance to scam... er, call me yet!

My order is now with Beach Camera for a K100D. Expecting delivery around the 25th.