Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Neophyte

Hey all, just wanted to quickly introduce myself, as I hope to be posting here soon, and mining the forums for info. I'm a professional photographer who shoots mostly portraits, but also a bit of commercial and other odds and ends. Basically, I shoot anything, but make most of my income from portraiture. My main camera is currently a Nikon D3.

After trying a couple of different Nikon cameras for backup, I decided I need to have a D700. Then the D7000 was released and it got me thinking that maybe I didn't have to have a FF body as my backup. At the same time, recently, I have just begun to explore old glass and alternative glass, and have quickly developed a feel for manual focus lenses. Often, when I was looking at some fairly uncommon lens, I couldn't find an F-mount copy, but saw a K-mount available. Which started me off thinking: "Does my backup body reeeally have to be a Nikon??"

Sure, it probably should be, for ease of transition in cases where I would have to actually USE my backup. However, the thought of spending a lot of money on a body which was meant to be used ONLY when something was amiss with my D3 doesn't sit altogether well with me. But I love photography, love messing with new gear, etc. So, my logic is that if I pick up a Pentax system, I will have a lot of fun with it, as well as have access to a whole new range of glass. In other words, it will get used. A lot. And therefore I will become very familiar with it, and it will not be any problem at all if I am "forced" to use it.

Anyway, that was a bit long-winded. Here's the short version: I just ordered a Pentax K-7 and a DA 70/2.4, which should arrive Tuesday. And I'm here because the crowd looks friendly, and knowledgeable, and I'm gonna need some help as I explore the new system. So, hi.

10-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Todd and welcome. Folks here on this forum are definately friendly and knowledgeable - let's hope we live up to your expectations.

I'm a much retired Pro (of sorts) but still interested and active. I've had experience with a wide range of film cameras in the past and the reason I've ended up (not too final, I hope) using Pentax is for the very same reason as you - the fun of using a wide range of glass. Good luck with your new Pentax gear BTW.
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John, thanks for the welcome! Very much looking forward to the new gear, and to this forum.
10-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here Todd. Glad to have you on board with us. Your K-7 + DA 70 combination will be quite a change from what you're used to in your FF cameras - a lot smaller and lighter.

Enjoy your time on the forum and hope to see more of your contributions here.

10-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice to see you over here, Todd.
10-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben, for letting me know about this place!

Ash, thanks! I've been reading and watching videos, and the camera definitely seems tiny. I'm very curious to get my hands on it. I may end up buying the grip, I don't know. My hands are not that big, but I have become used to the D3.