Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pentax hopeful in Taiwan

I think I'm pretty close to buying a k-x and pretty excited about a new camera after taking so many pictures with a Fuji S5100 (4 MP bought in 2004). I've taken a lot of great pictures but it's time to learn how to take even better pictures.

I have a 1 month trip thru SE Asia planned this winter that will take the road less traveled (in addition to seeing the big sites like Angkor Wat and halong bay). But the big trip I have planned is Nepal and Tibet in Spring 2012. I'm planning on doing at least 2 long treks in Nepal and the AA batteries are essential for this imo. The nice selection of primes is also nice for backpacking.

Lens roadmap
DA15mm - the dream since I always want to get wider (going to need to save for this one)
maybe some manual focus lenses between 28mm and 70mm
possibly no zooms other than the kit lens
the DA40mm seems like a good value and companion to the DA15mm

But I won't be buying lenses in a hurry. I still have a lot to learn.

A link to my pbase gallery - favorite travel photos Photo Gallery by Kirk Beiser at pbase.com

The SA and PCT07 were my favorite trips so far.

10-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I envy you your travel plans, Kirk! I guess I would suggest that you think about picking up a sharp, fast used prime in the 28-50mm range almost right away. It doesn't have to be AF but auto aperture functionality would be good and not too expensive. The speed will get you shots you'd miss otherwise and I suspect it would be a real eye opener in terms of the possibilities that will be open to you.

Nice travel photos, btw
10-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes I have plans to get some manual primes (incorrectly worded as maybe) soon. The only thing stopping me (aside from not having the camera yet) is the shipping/import tax will probably be more than the cost of the lens. But that sounds like the perfect Christmas present when it/they could be shipped with a Christmas care package.

thanks for the liking the photos