Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Hello from Indianapolis

Good afternoon everyone. I've been researching a new camera for myself and all arrows are pointing to Pentax. I love forums and the feeling of community so that was naturally where I started my reseach.

The past few years I've been using a few different superzoom style cameras with good result but I'm ready to take it to the next level... at this point I'm not 100% which platform. The two contendors are the K-r and the K-7 which can be had for close to the same price. They both have features that I would use. The lenses I've selected for myself are the DA16-45 and the 55-300. If I go with the K-r I'll get a kit which includes the DA35mm.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here,

Chad

10-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by chadci Quote
Good afternoon everyone. I've been researching a new camera for myself and all arrows are pointing to Pentax. I love forums and the feeling of community so that was naturally where I started my reseach.

The past few years I've been using a few different superzoom style cameras with good result but I'm ready to take it to the next level... at this point I'm not 100% which platform. The two contendors are the K-r and the K-7 which can be had for close to the same price. They both have features that I would use. The lenses I've selected for myself are the DA16-45 and the 55-300. If I go with the K-r I'll get a kit which includes the DA35mm.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here,

Chad
Hey Chad, my sister is going to graduate school in Indianapolis and is learning to appreciate the city more by the day. Welcome to the forum!

That's a toughie on the K-7 versus K-r conundrum. For now I'd give the edge to advising you to get the K-r since you're buying a few zooms with slower apertures and I think the K-r's better high ISO performance would allow you to use them more often indoors.
10-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
Thank's, that's along the lines of my thought process as well. Being able to shoot indoors would be a bonus but I've been unable to for a while so it's not a deal breaker
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
Also, Indianapolis, like any other city has positives and negatives. If you let me know some of her favorite activities I can pass along info where she might enjoy herself.

10-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,687
Hi Chad and welcome. If you want some of those 'handy' (not necessarily essential) features as well as a dual e-dial for easier customisation, the K-7 is a good choice. The K-r, however will have all the essentials plus a lot of what the K-7 has to offer, in a smaller body without the bells and whistles (no upper LCD or 2nd e-dial) but will have faster focusing and *much* better low-light shooting results (by virtue of its excellent sensor with high ISO performance).

All the best with your decision.
10-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi Chad and welcome. If you want some of those 'handy' (not necessarily essential) features as well as a dual e-dial for easier customisation, the K-7 is a good choice. The K-r, however will have all the essentials plus a lot of what the K-7 has to offer, in a smaller body without the bells and whistles (no upper LCD or 2nd e-dial) but will have faster focusing and *much* better low-light shooting results (by virtue of its excellent sensor with high ISO performance).

All the best with your decision.
The upper LCD would be nice and the larger size of the K-7 would be nice as well, I have large hands... most 6'3 guys do BUT I'm interested in performance over size or bells and whistles. I do like that the K-7 is metal and that would give me peace of mind.

On the other side being able to use the K-r in low light situations, lighterweight PLUS the K-x got such good reviews and the K-r built on that makes me think the K-r would be right for me too.

It's a tough call. I'm going to wait for some decent reviews and see how it fares.

The good thing is, I'm not THAT wet behind the ears. I have a nice Tenba messenger bag that carries the camera gear AND laptop ( which is very nice for travel), a belt holster, a nice neoprene strap that puts the camera at my waist ( which is where it works best for me) and plenty of other goodies. Because I've been using a superzoom, I'm not locked into anything... yet

I take that back, I do have an ETTL flash ( for Canon made by Nissin) but it'll make a fine slave in manual.
10-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by chadci Quote
Also, Indianapolis, like any other city has positives and negatives. If you let me know some of her favorite activities I can pass along info where she might enjoy herself.
Got any restaurant or coffee shop recommendations? Or cool places to shop? I already helped her find the donuts at Long's Bakery through the power of the Internet
10-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Got any restaurant or coffee shop recommendations? Or cool places to shop? I already helped her find the donuts at Long's Bakery through the power of the Internet
What side of town does she live on?

I LOVE longs! There are several little botique type shops and nice ( but not that expensive) places to eat along Mass Ave between Alabama and College downtown. I work in that area and would suggest: McNivvens ( Scottish, try the fried chicken sandwich), Bazbeaux ( WONDERFUL pizza, try the quatro) Yats ( cajun) and Rathskeller / Beer Garden( German but $$) and there are a lot of other places along there I've not tried.

Also Broad Ripple is full of little shops, pubs and good food but, can get a bit crazy after dark.

As for Coffee shops, they're all Starbucks these days. My favorite is at the corner of Mass and Alabama. It sits in a courtyard area with a brick head statue and there are a lot of cool folks there.

If she is looking for Shopping malls, I go south to Greenwood Park or north to Castleton Square / Fashion Mall. I don't care for Lafayette Square or Washington Square and neither are very safe.

I'll also say that if she's looking to make a day of it, head down 65 south to Edinburgh and there is a really nice outlet mall there. Head west from there to Nashville, IN for tons of little shops and beautiful scenery and then head even further west to Bloomington and hang out with the IU kids. She could then head north on 37 and stop at Oliver Winery. 37 will bring her back to Indianapolis. I don't drink wine but I LOVE to visit Oliver, it's a beautiful place. That's about my favorite 1 tank trip from Indianapolis and it's a good full day.


Last edited by chadci; 10-28-2010 at 09:06 AM.
10-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 237
Greetings from the north side. Enjoy your selection (can't go wrong I guess)!

As for coffee shops, Lulu's on 86th and Ditch is solid (and 2 for 1 hand made scones after 2pm on weekdays).

Also a fan of the Chatham Tap located on Mass Ave for food/beer.
10-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
Greetings from the north side. Enjoy your selection (can't go wrong I guess)!

As for coffee shops, Lulu's on 86th and Ditch is solid (and 2 for 1 hand made scones after 2pm on weekdays).

Also a fan of the Chatham Tap located on Mass Ave for food/beer.
How could I forget Chatham, GREAT fish and chips!

Not been (or heard of) to Lulu's, is it in the Marsh shopping center?
10-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 237
Next to Smee's on the northwest corner of the intersection.

I haven't perused the brick and mortar stores in Indy to see if they are carrying the new Pentax cameras. Have you tried either of the new ones out first before buying them? Just curious.

I've talked about doing this before, but there are something like 15-20 Pentaxians in and around Indy. We could start a group and organize trips if there is enough interest.
10-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
Next to Smee's on the northwest corner of the intersection.

I haven't perused the brick and mortar stores in Indy to see if they are carrying the new Pentax cameras. Have you tried either of the new ones out first before buying them? Just curious.

I've talked about doing this before, but there are something like 15-20 Pentaxians in and around Indy. We could start a group and organize trips if there is enough interest.
Ohh that would be cool!

I've checked Best Buy and Frys but that's about it. I found a Tower Camera near my home and I keep planning to check it out but always forget.
10-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 237
Roberts and Cord may have one, but I haven't stepped foot inside of either one in a few years. Their sites carry them .... but that doesn't mean they do not have any on the shelf for patrons to try.
10-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
Roberts and Cord may have one, but I haven't stepped foot inside of either one in a few years. Their sites carry them .... but that doesn't mean they do not have any on the shelf for patrons to try.
I work downtown so I may check Robert's and see what they've got one of these days. I've got to work a few hours tomorrow as I'll be out of town some next week, maybe I'll run over to Robert's after I get off. It's probably been 15 years since I've been there.

I "tried" to go to Cord on 86th and... hmmmm, between College and Keystone. The sign was still up but the shop was closed.
10-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 46107
Posts: 54
Original Poster
Looks like Robert's is open until 4:30 tomorrow so I'll head over and see what they've got.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-r
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello From Indianapolis, IN jnmonteiro Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-26-2009 09:53 AM
Hi from Indianapolis! Sasquatch Welcomes and Introductions 1 08-15-2008 11:42 PM
Outrage in Indianapolis MRRiley Photographic Industry and Professionals 51 07-09-2007 05:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top