Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #1

New Plder Pentax Addict from Australia :)

Hi all,

Serious Long term Pentax Owner and User here.

Was Given My first real SLR by a 'well off' friend, who was upgrading, a very well looked after SP500 !!
It was Very Much My Work Horse for a Very Long time,..especially as I shot very Slow Transparency film almost exclusively,..(a serious Slow Kodachrome user here,..and Yes I Can admit to even Using the 12 asa stuff !!), Until,..unfortunately Myself and it were Washed into the Sea one day!

I still have it and in fact it has helped in getting an older SP100 going,..(A Stuck battery Lid!)

I have Quite a collection of Pentax 35mm cameras from that Era, (Listed Below), But strangely after the ocean 'Incident', I just stopped taking photos, for about 15 years.

It was whilst playing recently with a Digital Canon G4 and a re acquaintance with an Avid Photographer School Friend from the past that caused me to Purchase a canon EOS 50, as my friend had a Canon EOS 300 and wanted me to teach them to be a better Photographer, plus another friend has a tidy little Brace of Canon "L" Series lenses, which I can Borrow.

It was in fact the purchase of this Canon, or more realistically,..the realisation of just how Expensive 'Decent' lenses are Now,..let alone how Cheap, Plastic, Slow and UnSharp these modern 'Zoom' lenses are.

I purchased a Cheap Canon EOS 50mm f1.8 II lens, as it IS actually Very Sharp, but My Example is Not a new Lens and Could be better, but it was the resulting Image quality that made me think of My Pentax's and their beautiful lenses.

So,..I rescued them from Storage, Dusted them Off and after finding the Same Pentax camera guy I used to go to years ago!, I have recently had a few of them ,.."Rebuilt for Another 30 years" as he says !!,..lol

I am I must say Quite excited getting back into both Photography in general, but also Film and My Lovely little Pentax's !!!

Having also recently purchased a Plustek Film Scanner, I can Now Re embrace My general Love of Film !!

I have been Expanding on My Pentax 'Collection' a bit of late with still a few 'Gems' to try and get.

I USE My cameras! None of them are for a Shelf or Display case!,..
Like racing cars, Cameras were made for a purpose !!,..lol

Glad to have found some Other Pentax Lovers and users.

Be happy in the Knowledge you are using one of the Worlds Nicest cameras with Some of the World's best lenses!

I'm a serious Pentax "Addict" !!,..lol

Regards to all,
Stoo

SP500 x 2 One damaged.
SP1000
Spotmatic
Spotmatic F
Black ESII

Super Takumar 28mm f3.5
Super Takumar 35mm f3.5
Super Multi Coated Takumar 35mm f3.5
Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 x 2. Early and Mid models
Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 Backwards Model
SMC Takumar f1.8 55mm
Super Takumar 55mm f2.0
SMC 55mm f2.0 Late model
Super Multi Coated Takumar 135mm f3.5

Tamron (Adaptall) 28mm f2.8 (A Huge chunk of Glass) a somewhat Difficult lens to use.
Auto-Promura C.P. Hi-Lux MC 3.9 80-205mm Zoom (not too bad a Lens)
Soligor 600mm f8.0 Tele (HUGE, but beautiful)
Rail Bellows
Asahi Extension Tubes
Marexar 2X Tele Converted

Some of these are from My Old collection, others more recent acquisitions.

Last edited by stoo23; 09-21-2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Adding to Equipment list
09-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Unlike you, my lenses are for display only. Welcome to the forum
09-16-2007, 03:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hey Hi,..Yeah I can 'Dig' the Collector Thing,..

I was just really letting everyone know i was More a User than a Collector as such,..mind you,..I Am still Looking for those 'Odd' Asahi 'Gems' ..lol

09-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow, nice collection of primes there mate

09-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ah Yes !,..Thanks,..I LOVE My Primes !!!

Worked for Years with Really ONLY The 50mm and 55mm lenses.

Did a lot of Music and Entertainment Work, with a Luverly Old 200mm Lens, a Marexar I think,..which has Unfortunately, Passed on to the Giant Glass Furnace in the Sky !,..lol

It's Funny really, as when I was Younger, I couldn't really afford the Lenses I wanted, or the Faster ones! The First 50mm f1.4 I got Early on came with a Camera I acquired, which Was and Still IS an absolutely Amazing Lens!!

The Moment I put it on my camera and looked through the viewfinder, I was amazed!,..
How Bright it was!
and I guess after the 55mm, a slightly Different View,..But OH,..The Pictures !!,..lol

I find the f1.8 and the f2.0 also take beautiful Pictures, in fact for General 'Centre weighted' People Shots, the f2.0 is Great,..but there Really is an Element of 'Magic' happening with the 50mm f1.4.

When I was Much Younger,..I must admit I 'Dreamed' of either an Extensive Nikon setup,..lol or a "We are Not Worthy", Leica,..(typical eh!?),

BUT !!,
As I got Older and really started to Look at The VERY Real Quality of my 'Humble' little First SP500, I began to realise what I had was Pretty darn Good !!

When I got the 50mm, I began to realise what I had was, in fact, What I had been Looking For!

There is a certain kind of 'Snap' to this lens, that is Succinctly Different, to All other Takumars I feel and I KNOW it takes Sharper Pictures than the Old 500C Hasselblad I used to use Occasionally !!

I know, I know, format differences etc,..BUT, it IS Much Sharper than those Older Zeiss 'Blad' Lenses! Although in Theory Both Planar types, the Zeiss are Very Different in Construction and Methodology to what Asahi were doing!!
Oh, but then you ALL Know that eh!?,..

Anyway,..Points being,..I really Do not Now Desire for Many Other cameras, or lenses Compared to the Amazing Quality of The Takumars!

I own a Canon EOS 50 and a 50mm f1.8 II, which, I did purchase Because of how Sharp it is and it's Price, or should I say "Cheapness",..Eeek,..Plastic !!
I bought it recently to work with a Friend and teach them and because another good friend has a Brace of "L" series lenses I can and Do Borrow Occasionally !!!,..Drool ! Very Nice, Fast!, Beautifully Light, Large, but pretty Manageable! easy to use,..AND Do 'Feel' like Lenses of Old!
BUT,..the Cost !!! One single lens is worth MORE than My Whole collection !!!

It Was THIS 'Tacky Placky' Canon 50mm Lens, (that seems to barely even Pay passing Homage to Manual Focusing) and looking at even the Slightly Dearer Series of Canons and the awful Kit and Midrange Zooms, that Made me realise I once again could Not afford to Buy the Quality "I" Expected, or wanted, within the Canon Range !!

This Fact alone caused me to Re Investigate my Old Pentax collection.

Funny though as a point I was making about Not being able to afford the lenses I wanted when Younger!, well, seems Some of the Prime Focal Lengths and Ofcourse Speeds of some of the Takumars, I always Wanted, are NOW Once again, Becoming Rather expensive!!,...lol
Partly Due to the lenses and cameras being Popular with Collectors, (for Good reasons), and also NOW the Fact that The Whole DSLR 'World', has realised there are a Few Older Takumar Lenses that ARE Simply, IMHO and Obviously Many Others as well,..The Best Lenses available Now or Ever !!!,.. DOH !!

If I were to Criticize My Pentax's for Anything, it possibly Wou;d be their Screw Mount, as at times it IS a wee bit 'Tedious', compared to say an EOS Canon etc.

Also, for someone who tends to also Like Long Exposures, (at Night AND during the Day!!,..Slow Film,..lol), I DO Find the Lack of a "Mirror Lock Up" a slight issue and I Guess in reality, The whole Mirror 'Movement' and resultant 'Shake', CAN also Be an Issue for Longer Hand held Work.

That said, I must admit to always having been Pretty Satisfied with my work Like that,..so it isn't THAT bad,..just a mention !!!,..

Having 'Been away' as such from my Photography for so many years,..I must admit,..I Do have a seriously re awakened and Self realisation about the equipment in general!

I mean, I have 'Owned' and Used/abused some of this equipment, for Over 30 odd years Myself!
Since I stopped Taking Pictures, it has simply been Stored, and Not Overly carefully either, due to many Moves etc in Life.

BUT, I was amazed really, that Upon inspection, Everything, apart from some Very Slight Fungus and dust inside My Very Old f1.8 55, (The Seawater drenched one !!), Everything, was Still Fine!
I needed to get two of the Mirror Seals replaced and had a slight issue with One battery Compartment, (Not Unusual !!,..lol).

So I was also amazed as I have said, that all my stuff is Exactly How I remember it
I am Enjoying the Re-familiarisation as it were of Both My Past and of This Beautiful Equipment.

OK,..gotta stop Now,..I'm dribbling on My Keyboard,...