Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Frederick, MD

I've been shooting with Canon and Nikon cameras on and off the last ten years, and have generally been pretty happy with the results. However, I've decided I want to switch things up a bit, and give Pentax a try. I currently own a 5D Mark II, and a couple of lens. I like FF, but lately, there are more times where I miss the extra reach of an APS-C format camera like the 7D/D7000/K5/K7. Plus, the lenses for a FF camera tend to get very expensive. So, I started looking at crop cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax, and came across the K-5. I like the idea of in-body stabilization, which makes the Pentax lenses smaller, lighter and less expensive than their Nikon and Canon counterparts (especially once you start talking FF). Plus, it'll be fun to learn and explore a new system, especially one like the K-5, which seems like a pretty sweet new camera.

So, I just ordered a new K-5/18-55mm kit, as well as the 16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses. I'm pretty excited about the new gear, and if I find that it does all of what I want, I can see myself selling some of my Canon gear to pick up a few additional Pentax lenses.

It probably seems like a strange switch (going from one of the "big boys" to Pentax), but there are aspects of the K-5 that really appeal to me over the 5D (specifically, the weather sealing, the extra reach, in-body stabilization, and better AF performance). I also looked at the Olympus E-5, but was a little disappointed in the specs, not to mention concerned about the viability of the four-thirds mount. The Canon 7D seems nice, but in renting a 7D, the images were soft and the camera itself just didn't inspire me (though the body quality is light-years better than the 5D). The D7000 seems nice, but feel the K-5 may be the better body, and like the 16-50/50-135mm Pentax combo (not to mention, even the 18-55mm seems very capable of great results in the right hands).

So, I'm hoping this is the start of a new chapter in my photography hobby, and am looking forward to receiving the K-5 on Tuesday.

Thanks for reading this.

Chris

10-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and well done on choosing the K-5 and the excellent DA* lenses. I'm sure you'll be impressed with the results you get from the gear. Good to have you on board.
11-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I'm glad to see another Marylander here. There's a collection of area folks (including Mel & Mike Riley who are PF moderators) who get together from time to time. See here