Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #1

Hi and greetings from Helsinki, Finland

I was a happy Pentax K-x owner from the Christmas of 2009 until last July, when during a shipspotting trip in Hamburg I bathed my camera equipment in the contents of a literīs bottle of mineral water in my rucksack.

Luckily, the accident was generously covered by my insurance, so that I was able to have the gear replaced with a similar set based on K-r (plus 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses). The new equipment arrived only a week ago, so now I am relearning the Pentax tricks after for the last few months having used my good old Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50.

I’m retired, 84 years old and since 5-6 years madly interested in the hobby of photographing ships.

Last edited by camibali; 11-03-2010 at 07:29 AM.
11-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well welcome here.
And at 84 you have caught on to today's technology like Gen-Y.

Good to have you here and hope you enjoy your time on the forum.
11-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome, compatriot! I found my way (back to) photography and to Pentax (k-x) via a Lumix too :-)
11-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tervetuloa, Welcome! I just upgraded from K200D to K-r a few days ago and so far it I love it.

There's an ongoing thread called Planes trains boats automobiles in the Mini-Challenges, Games Photo-Stories sub-section where your ship shots would be most welcome. Or of course you could start a whole new thread devoted ships.

11-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by camibali Quote
I was a happy Pentax K-x owner from the Christmas of 2009 until last July, when during a shipspotting trip in Hamburg I bathed my camera equipment in the contents of a literīs bottle of mineral water in my rucksack.

Luckily, the accident was generously covered by my insurance, so that I was able to have the gear replaced with a similar set based on K-r (plus 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses). The new equipment arrived only a week ago, so now I am relearning the Pentax tricks after for the last few months having used my good old Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50.

I’m retired, 84 years old and since 5-6 years madly interested in the hobby of photographing ships.
Tervetuola! (no I don't speak Finnish, but lived in your city for a while in the 90's)
I was in your city this past weekend with my familly. Sea Life, Fazer cafe, Stockman, Moomin shop... the usual tour that makes both wife and kids happy (and gives me lots of street shots). They were sure digging and building a lot in central Helsinki. Svenska teatern all upside down. Was surprised to see the Strindberg cafe closed.

Anyway, you will like the 55-300 a lot I think. Best budget long zoom Pentax made, a lot of capacity for the money, and better at the long end than previous long range budget zooms. I think the 18-55 + 55-300 is a much better combo than the 18-55 + 50-200.
11-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Douglas! Glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your weekend in Helsinki.
I much admire your work on butterflies, birds and all the rest. Yes, I have been very happy with the 18-55 + 55-300 combo. - Will make one of the usual one day cruises Åbo-Stockholm next monday - just hope for decent weather for my ship photos.