Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

New to Pentax

Greetings,

I'm a new Pentax user as of this past Friday, when my new Pentax kit arrived from B&H. Bought a K-5 / grip, 16-50/f2.8, 50-135/f2.8, 55/f1.4, 200/f.2.8, and AF-540 flash. I made the switch from Nikon for a few reasons. Firstly, I wanted to stick with an APC sensor for the extra reach without the serious $$$ of fast telephoto lenses from Nikon. The in-camera stabilization and good (but reasonably-priced) lenses from Pentax were also major selling points.

I haven't had the chance to play too much yet, so more detailed reviews will have to wait. However, I wanted to share some first impressions from a new user.

K-5 w/ grip: The camera is really compact; so much so that I would struggle to use it without the grip. Nice build quality, if not quite up to the best Nikon has to offer. Maybe not the proverbial tank, but definitely an armored infantry fighting vehicle. Love the shutter sound and the rear LCD clarity. The degree of customization is fantastic (and you really do have to go far to beat out Nikon in this). A few weak areas for the future: 1) battery door latch is a little flimsy and 2) the tripod socket on the batter grip is off-center. Also, the Pentax hand strap will not work with the grip, so I'm looking for other options (may be Camadapter?).

Lenses: The lens build quality is generally good to very good. The DA* 200 f/2.8 is absolutely fantastic. Feels like I could club down a charging rhino if needed. The zoom and focus action on all the lenses is very nice. (Note to other Nikon users, the zoom and focus ring positions is reversed from the latest Nikon lenses, which will require getting used to. At least they zoom in the "right" direction). On the 16-50, the outer extension tube is metal, but the inner one is plastic. Metal would have been nice, but the plastic is very high quality (as are the plastic components on all the lenses).

AF-540 Flash: Agree with the other reviews that the battery door is flimsy; they really should fix that in the next version. It will take me a while to navigate the user interface, but I think I'll eventually like it. The wheel for exposure compensation is nice.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my decision and purchases. Can't wait to take them shooting!

11-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you got yourself quite an outfit- and it's great to see you're already enjoying it!

If you're into posting reviews, you should check out these sections:
Pentax Camera Reviews - Pentax K-R, Pentax K-5, K-x, K-7, and 645D DSLRs - PentaxForums.com
Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database
Pentax Camera Accessories - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #3

Bonjour,

Contente pour vous que vous ayez trouvé votre bonheur
Me concernant j'espère trouver bientôt ce que je cherche et pouvoir me mettre a fond dans la photo

bonne journée a vous tous
11-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the new kit! You probably made the seller's day too :-)