Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #1

Hello from a nippy Cardiff morning

Hello Everyone,

I am Pras. Love photography - looooooong way to call myself a photographer!!

I have been trying to read the best practices and trying to get that implemented. Bought the Pentax kx after a long research - got the kit lenses. I may be hurrying myself to things - but wanted to have a lens that was fast and gave me a good coverage of focal lengths. So with my very shallow pocket got the Vivitar 28-105mm f2.8-3.5 lens.

Now with my shallow knowledge and pouring over the camera manual, I think I have figured out that this lens can only be used in the Aperture ring auto-mode (A) - and then only you can use the different camera modes (Av, Tv, S, P). But does this limit the capabilities of the lens???I want to use this lens as a carry-around lens - I know its heavy but can take that for some good cherishable snaps.

Any tips of how to use this lens with my camera in a lay man's language will be of most help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Pras

11-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lens has an "A" setting on the aperture ring then leave the ring set to "A". You can use all exposure modes just like the kit lens.

If the lens does NOT have an "A" setting then it gets more involved. Let us know and we can discuss that next.
11-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi there. Thanks for replying. Yes there is an A position and I can get the various modes in the camera working. But can I get the aperture controlled just by the ring on the camera because I am not being able to move the aperture ring of the lens. Sorry if its a daft thing to say :-P
11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Yes, the aperture can be controlled by the dial on the camera in Av and M mode as long as the aperture ring on the lens is in the A position.

11-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot.
12-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Ole and others. I have been trying to ask this question for some time now but not getting to time to open the site. Whenever I have attach the vivitar lens and switch the camera on, I am asked to input the focal length - can anyone help me with what is the input that is being asked?

Thanks,
Pras
12-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

I think you were given wrong information here.

It sounds like you have a manual lens, so it needs to know the focal length for shake reduction. Also let us know if F-- is flashing.

And If so, no-- you probably can't change aperture with the camera wheel.

12-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Ira. Thanks for your response. I attach my lens keeping the Aperture ring of the lens in the A position - then I am able to change the F number with the wheel in the Av mode and the shutter-speed in the Tv mode. But when I switch on the camera it asks me for the input focal length.