Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello From Maryland

Hello, My name is Jay. 26, and just purchased my FIRST DSLR. Pentax K-X White! I am coming from a Sony H50 Digital camera, (DSLR Wanna-be) I got that about 2 years ago because I knew the DSLR would be too much for my wife. (Currently she still has trouble figuring out which button is the flash) I have quietly been keeping an eye on the DSLR world, and finally pulled the trigger on the K-X.
I purchased it from CameraKings.com. As of right now im not sure about my purchase. I thought it was a good idea at first $164 shipped with no tax. and then when I spoke with them, I found out it also came with a camera case, tripod, cleaning kit and screen protectors (cheap, but still free) That sweetened the deal, then they told me they would upgrade my shipping to expedited, even better. Then I happened to do some research and found a $15 promo code online. Now im sold. $449 out the door, no taxes and free 2 day shipping. Fantastic. I had heard some rumors on reviews that they like to wait a day or two and then call to "confirm" the order, (so they can try to sell you memory cards and batteries) No biggie there. Just say no. So I jumped the gun and called him. Added a lens hood for $10, they tried to sell me some stuff and I said nope, just the hood. Then he said "that will be $484" What? Since when does $449 + $10 = $484? He informed me that they had to charge insurance and handling fee... I quickly shot those extra charges down. He then said it would be $449 with the lens hood. Then he hung up. As of now it says my order is shipped, but I have no other word. All i have to say is. CameraKings= Great prices, bad customer service. and SNEAKY!

Anyways. Ill let that rant end there.

Thanks for all the great information, look forward to putting in some of the little knowledge i have!

PS, how do you sign up for the pentax galleries? I can see where you look at others pictures, but not where you can load your own?

Thanks!!

Here are a few pics I have taken with my H50, I know NONE of these even hold a candle to what I have seen here, but I look forward to learning alot to make them better. Please give any suggestions!!

Attached Images

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 11-09-2010 at 05:32 PM.
11-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome, I like your second shot and the bike is good too.
Good luck with your purchase, post images from it when it gets to you.
11-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Welcome aboard! Nice shots from your H50. Never heard of it but that doesn't mean anything ..

I'm not 100% certain but I THINK you have to have a few posts under your belt to post in the galleries. That, or make a small donation. Well worth the small investment IMO, especially if you intend or ever want to sell your excess Pentax items (if there Is such a thing). You Should be able to create an Album however, again, I Think. Somewhere, the rules outline what you need to do but I can't find it at the moment.

11-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I plan on donating shortly. Im a premium member an many forums. The sony h50 is a pretty good digital camera. 10.2 mp with a good zoom. But it still doesn't compare to dslr.

11-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well camera came in today. What a beast she is. I have alot to get use to from the digital camera. But it will be fun. Good news is they sent the tulip hood for free. Guess they felt bad for trying to overcharge me. I'll try to take some comparison pictures this weekend...
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Welcome and be sure to check out the forum group National Capitol Area Pentaxians. We have a planned get together second Saturday in December in Baltimore at the Aquarium and harbor area. Go check it out in the Gatherings forum. We'd love to have you join us. There's a lot of experience amongst the group and a great way to learn.
11-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Welcome and be sure to check out the forum group National Capitol Area Pentaxians. We have a planned get together second Saturday in December in Baltimore at the Aquarium and harbor area. Go check it out in the Gatherings forum. We'd love to have you join us. There's a lot of experience amongst the group and a great way to learn.
See this thread for more information. I hope you can join us.
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very cool. Thanks for the invite. Ill probably sit this one out. i dont want to embarass myself just yet. Once i figure a little more out ill come on out.

11-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
... and finally pulled the trigger on the K-X.

I purchased it from CameraKings.com. As of right now im not sure about my purchase. I thought it was a good idea at first $164 shipped with no tax.
I know this ain't right.
11-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
what do you mean?
11-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Very cool. Thanks for the invite. Ill probably sit this one out. i dont want to embarass myself just yet. Once i figure a little more out ill come on out.
Aawww come and play with us!! We promise we won't laugh at you! All kidding aside, it really is a good opportunity to learn more about your camera etc. in a hands-on kind of situation.
11-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I know this ain't right.
I meant $464 sorry
11-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account