Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from WA state

Just a quick note to say "Hello!"

I started photographing my backpacking trips 30 years ago with a Pentax Auto 110 so I could attempt to show my non-outdoorsy family why I was always pining for the mountains. Tough little camera that was far greater than the film it used, I was a bit hamfisted with it and eventually moved on to a Pentax MX and LX. Now those are cameras I really miss, but they were lost when my wife and I's first home fell victim to a fire. Insurance helped replace some of the cost, but we were expecting our 2nd child and of course there was much else to replace and prepare for. So, I didn't purchase new cameras and all but set photography aside until about a year and half ago when a friend lent me his Nikon D200 saying "Hey, give this a try. I've seen your old slides and prints and it's a shame you don't shoot anymore".

Fast forward to now, and after being lent that Nikon, a Canon 50D, and a Pentax K-x, I'm hooked again. Obviously there was some sentimental reasons for going with Pentax, and while there were some great things about both the Nikon and the Canon, I was and am still amazed at the quality of the images you can get from the K-x. And that's with a lot less PP after converting the raw file.

Not so quick a note after all Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the K-x and look forward to sharing some images here and learning from those who've been digital imaging for years now.

Only negative thus far: I do believe I had LBA even before the camera arrived

11-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing you in The Takumar Club!

The M42s are LBA you can still afford!
11-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is always nice to see another Northwesterner, even if it is someone from the dried-out side of the mountains!

Steve
11-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, Ira, I can indeed see a Tak among other lenses being acquired sooner rather than later. Not that the kit lenses are bad; the 55-300 in particular is pretty danged amazing for what it cost.

... even if it is someone from the dried-out side of the mountains!

We've been over here for about 12 years now after living outside Bellingham for many years. My wife was one those pour souls who just could not adjust to the grey and rain of the Puget Sound. I still dislike the summer heat over here, and due to the rekindled photo passion the often hazy light can be a bummer. Or so I tell myself when I misjudge an exposure ...

11-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well welcome here and good to have you on board with us. Beware of LBA - it masquerades as a desire limited to one type of lens (Tak/Super Tak/M42) or focal length...

Enjoy your rekindled hobby and your time here.