Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Basra, Iraq!

Hello all! I am a new Pentax enthusiast, and new to this forum. I purchased my K-7 and lenses after doing about 6 months of research on what to buy after my Canon EOS 40D crapped-out on me. I didn't really want another Canon, and I didn't want to spend the money on the 7D...so I did my homework and 'took a chance' on the K-7...I have had no regrets. I absolutely adore this camera and what it can do, and I plan on being true to Pentax products from here on out! I can't wait to gt my hands on the K-5, which I may not need, but I still lust after! I am sure some of you can understand.
I have been an amateur shutterbug since high school; but my move into the 'real world' shut down this rather expensive hobby for me until about two years ago when I was stationed in Korea and my wife and I purchased our first dSLR (Sony a300-decent enough camera for the price). The rest is history.
I am 30 years old, I have four kids, and have been married for 9 years to my best friend, confidante, and partner in crime, April. She is my muse and often my model/subject. I love her greatly, to say the least!
I am an active-duty soldier in the Army, serving as a medic. I am on my third tour to Iraq; this time in Basra. NOT a place to really inspire creativity!
My K7 has dealt with the sun and sand beautifully here; and that is saying a lt considering the extemes (average summertime high is was around 110 degrees F).
So, thank you all for having me, and I will try my best not to be a nuisance!

11-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the informative introduction. Please enjoy your stay.
11-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums!
I imagine getting photographic inspiration can represent some unique challenges for a soldier in Iraq. It'll be good to see how you deal with those and what you post here.
11-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't normally come through this section of the site, your post caught my eye. Welcome aboard, stay safe, and thanks for your service.

11-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Welcome!

FOUR KIDS ALREADY!?

Any thoughts about slowing down there?

Thanks for your service, come back safe to us, and remember that the right-thinking people in this country love you for what you're doing and the sacrifices you're making.
11-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
Welcome to the forums!
I imagine getting photographic inspiration can represent some unique challenges for a soldier in Iraq. It'll be good to see how you deal with those and what you post here.
That is certainly true, as I am in Basra this tour; whereas I was in Baghdad my last two tours and it was beautiful: lots of very evident history and architecture, a more diverse and cosmomolitan feel...plus we have pretty much handed over all operations to the Iraqis themselves, and we do not get out and about as much; so unfortunately I do not get to meet new people and such. Thank you for the welcome!
11-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Welcome!

FOUR KIDS ALREADY!?

Any thoughts about slowing down there?

Thanks for your service, come back safe to us, and remember that the right-thinking people in this country love you for what you're doing and the sacrifices you're making.
Thank you for the welcome and the kind words!
As far as the children go...my oldest two are adopted, and I will include a photo by way of expanation...when we are out together as a family, we do tend to get some confused looks; and my oldest son is fond of telling people that he and his sister are a result of a 'recessive genetic trait' that makes every forth generation come out darker(they are biracial)!
We are done having children, but we plan to adopt as my career progresses and she finishes school.
11-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Don't normally come through this section of the site, your post caught my eye. Welcome aboard, stay safe, and thanks for your service.
Thank you!

11-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by COINTELPRO Quote
Thank you for the welcome and the kind words!
As far as the children go...my oldest two are adopted, and I will include a photo by way of expanation...when we are out together as a family, we do tend to get some confused looks; and my oldest son is fond of telling people that he and his sister are a result of a 'recessive genetic trait' that makes every forth generation come out darker(they are biracial)!
We are done having children, but we plan to adopt as my career progresses and she finishes school.
That's fantastic.

I'm Jewish, and my wife is Venezuelan, which most people just think means Spanish.

So we tell everyone that they're Spewish.
« Hi!!! | Hello! »