Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

New here

Hi,

I just registered for the forum today. I've been enjoying my K100D Super for years now, and have not kept pace with the latest and greatest, but lately I've been thinking about upgrading. I'd really like to photograph dog agility. With outdoor events I am fine, but the lighting in most of the arenas is beyond what the K100D can handle. Looking forward to learning!

11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello and welcome to the forums!

For you application any of the current Pentax bodies (k-x, k-r, k-5) would probably help a lot, since they are especially good with high ISO.
11-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! If you are on a budget then the Kx is great but if you can afford it the K5 is much better. Also be sure to explore the entire website because you will be able to find out which body/lens combo will best suit your needs.
11-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!
I almost bought a K100D a few years ago, but I went for the K10D instead. Still much love for it, but the high ISO quality can really be a challenge to work with sometimes. I can't imagine how many times my FA 50 1:1.4 has saved a photo from being a blurry mess!
I expect dog agility benefits from fast autofocus, so the K-5 ought to be a good bet in that regard. From what I have read, it's AF is quite a bit better than any previous Pentax DSLR.

11-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes! The K5 looks like a dream, but I'll need to either choose one of the other models or wait for the price to come down a bit. I saw a "too good to be true" deal online today but I had never heard of the retailer, and I'm just too reluctant to go for it.

Do any of you who have the K-x or K-r miss having the LCD screen on the top of the camera? That was one of the many things that impressed me about the K100D - many of the other entry level models at the time were lacking that.
11-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agilepup Quote
Do any of you who have the K-x or K-r miss having the LCD screen on the top of the camera? That was one of the many things that impressed me about the K100D - many of the other entry level models at the time were lacking that.
With the back and viewfinder displays (k-x) I can't say I have. Then again the k-x is my first dslr so I may not been spoiled :-)