Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Texas

You know, I run off to join Pentax Forums, and forgot to introduce myself, what a Pity.
Hello, My name is Kenneth Richardson from Silsbee, Texas. My first DSLR as a Pentax istDL, and I loved it, and my Sister has it now, my Brother had it before her, who got from me, so just about everyone in the family has used My Pentax. My next Camera is probably going to be a K-5, and that probably because that I am more impressed with Pentax for catching their own little goof up when they let the Camera out a little to earl before they even finished with the Buffer, hence the FirmWare Upgrade recently
Though I have never held a K-7 or K-5, I know the size is going to be similar to the istDL I had that was actually slightly smaller then the 2 previously mentioned, so I know how comfortable Pentax Cameras are.
I had previously thought about the Pentax 16-50mm Lens, and that was before I new about the 18-135 Lens Pentax is going to put out, so right now I could use some suggestions, as below is what I like to shoot:
I like:
Car Racing,
Portraits and some times Self Portraits
Landscapes
Wildlife
and very seldom, but, I also like Macro Photography

Any suggestions as far as Lens, and one note I do prefer Zooms when it comes to Willife and the Car Racing parts and the others maybe some good Primes.
Oh, and 1 question that I am curious about, as I heard their were flash problems on K-5, supposedly being Addressed by Pentax, Is this true? I also heard about some new flash coming, maybe 2011, anybody care to enlighten me on these Flashes, are they better then current Flashes or the same. I don't want to spend the money on current flashes if I know the New Flashes will be or could be better.
Thanks for letting me introduce myself.

11-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums.

From what I know of the 16-50 & 18-135 (not much, but we all need to learn new things), I would think these 2 lenses are a little too slow for car racing picture capture. At f4.0 the aperature is not as wide open as say, the Sigma 18-55 f2.8 (as an example). For portraits and landscape the 16-50mm (to me) would be the better of the 2 choices. It's within my portrait range of use, usually 35mm or less. It may work for wildlife on the K-5, but others will have much better ideas about this than I.
11-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
Welcome to the forums.

From what I know of the 16-50 & 18-135 (not much, but we all need to learn new things), I would think these 2 lenses are a little too slow for car racing picture capture. At f4.0 the aperature is not as wide open as say, the Sigma 18-55 f2.8 (as an example). For portraits and landscape the 16-50mm (to me) would be the better of the 2 choices. It's within my portrait range of use, usually 35mm or less. It may work for wildlife on the K-5, but others will have much better ideas about this than I.
thanks for that info.
11-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the board!