Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Novice in Japan

Hello all,
I was never too much into photography at all, until around when my son was born two and a half years ago. I started taking a lot of photos with the P&S I had then, and started wanting an SLR. They were just too expensive and I couldn't justify the purchase (to my wife), until an electronic's store opened up near my house, and had an opening special on a K-m with two lenses and an SD card for Y39,000 (around $400US at the time). That was almost exactly a year ago now, and for most of the time I was happy using the thing in auto with the kit 18-55mm lens on it and being blown away by the improvement over my P&S. Recently my work has involved learning about lenses and how they work, etc, and I began wanting to try different lenses. I've picked up a Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4 over the last couple weeks for $30 and $50 US over the last couple of weeks, as well as a reflector, and am looking at more doodads every day. I'm severely limited budget-wise, and not a photography of any great skill at the moment, so will be sticking with bargain basement lenses for quite a while I think. I've also recently discovered the greatness that is shooting in RAW, but unfortunately my computer is just not capable of dealing with them with any kind of speed. I'd also like a new body, for numerous reasons, but perhaps most of all for one with a video mode (even if it's terrible) so that I don't have to carry my video camera along on every family outing in addition to SLR lenses, etc.

About myself: I'm Canadian and first came to Japan as an exchange student in high school, and after a few trips back and forth have found myself married and being a father here in Osaka. I work at a Japanese company, which means late nights, and posting here will have to happen mostly after the fam is asleep. We go on little excursions every once in a while, but the majority of photos I take are of my son playing in the neighbourhood park, and their ultimate destination is facebook/picasa to be viewed by friends and family in Canada.

I hope to learn a lot here (already have from lurking), and hopefully one day be able to contribute myself. Seems like a fun group here, so I look forward to becoming a full-fledged Pentaxian...

11-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums. I moved back to Australia in Jan this year after living in Hiroshima for 6 years and that's where I got into photography too. I was in the same boat as you and for the first two years shot with Takumar and other m42 lenses which was a great way to teach myself photography by going manual. One thing to remember is that you have the basic gear to get the job done, just don't get caught up in the "I need..." game and just master the gear you already have. Good luck in Japan, with the family and with your photography.
11-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because a lens was obtained at bargain basement prices its quality is somehow compromised. Takumars were excellent quality optics when they were made and they are excellent quality optics still today. Photography is a hobby which can cost an arm and a leg, but there is nothing that says it must cost an arm and a leg.

Wanna see a few shots from a $20 lens and a $10 flash?

Yahoo Japan Auctions is your friend.
11-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because a lens was obtained at bargain basement prices its quality is somehow compromised. Takumars were excellent quality optics when they were made and they are excellent quality optics still today. Photography is a hobby which can cost an arm and a leg, but there is nothing that says it must cost an arm and a leg.

Wanna see a few shots from a $20 lens and a $10 flash?

I'll give you $30 for the lens and $15 for the flash, which gives you a 50% profit.

Minus shipping costs to Florida, which I'm sure you'll agree to pay.

11-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hashira Quote
I'm Canadian and first came to Japan as an exchange student in high school, and after a few trips back and forth have found myself married and being a father here in Osaka.
Well, that explains your camera budget problems right there.

HAH!!!!!!

Seriously:

Stories like yours are the reason this site so great. I'm a Jew married 21 years now (two kids) to a Venezuelan girl I met in Caracas.

PENTAX PEOPLE ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!
11-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
11-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks a lot everyone, for the welcome. i look forward to participating a lot in the future.

QuoteQuote:
yes, it is. I've already purchased 3 takumars without even getting the premium account to bid over ¥5000!