Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Potential Pentax Owner

Good day.
I registered because I am leaning towards buying a Pentax K-x as my first dip into the DSLR pool.
I am one of those people who review the heck out of things prior to leaping.
I had exceeded the capabilities with my point and shoot a long time ago.
I especially like Macros, so you can see why I stated the above ^.
Been shooting with my Fuji E510 and hand held magnifier for about 4 or 5 years now... Stubborn I am
I had been looking at Canon due to the MP-65 lens but holding it in my hands is quite uncomfortable.
The Kx meanwhile is quite the opposite, very comfy.

11-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums :-)

A similar thing happened to me: my Lumix dmc-fz28's high ISO capability was not sufficient for indoor shots without a flash, so did some research and discovered the k-x which works pretty well for that kind of thing, especially with the Tamron 17-50 1:2.8. Also, I tried some macro shots with the Lumix which was enough to get me interested. Again, after some research and Ebay watching I found the Cosina 100mm 3.5 which is pretty nice for the price, although I've been tempted by Tamron 90mm / Sigma 105mm. In addition to the good high ISO performance the availability of old quality lenses was an important factor to me. In summary I've been happy with the k-x, where an additional thing I didn't factor in at the time of choice is this forum :-)
11-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here, and I'm sure you'll find the K-x a very capable little camera to shoot macros with. What you then would be after is a decent dedicated macro lens. It'll be all a matter of where you can find one. If you're fine with manually focusing your macro shots, you can find a very good macro for quite cheap. But if AF is what you'd like, these are readily available in the DFA 50/2.8 and DFA 100/2.8 macros - there is also the option of getting a weather resistant version of the 100 macro.
All the best in your choice.
11-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Welcome to the forums :-)

A similar thing happened to me: my Lumix dmc-fz28's high ISO capability was not sufficient for indoor shots without a flash, so did some research and discovered the k-x which works pretty well for that kind of thing, especially with the Tamron 17-50 1:2.8. Also, I tried some macro shots with the Lumix which was enough to get me interested. Again, after some research and Ebay watching I found the Cosina 100mm 3.5 which is pretty nice for the price, although I've been tempted by Tamron 90mm / Sigma 105mm. In addition to the good high ISO performance the availability of old quality lenses was an important factor to me. In summary I've been happy with the k-x, where an additional thing I didn't factor in at the time of choice is this forum :-)
Thank you for the welcome jolepp, and the lens tips

11-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome here, and I'm sure you'll find the K-x a very capable little camera to shoot macros with. What you then would be after is a decent dedicated macro lens. It'll be all a matter of where you can find one. If you're fine with manually focusing your macro shots, you can find a very good macro for quite cheap. But if AF is what you'd like, these are readily available in the DFA 50/2.8 and DFA 100/2.8 macros - there is also the option of getting a weather resistant version of the 100 macro.
All the best in your choice.
Thank you for the welcome Ash.
I have been manually focusing my P&S as it's the only way to use the magnifier with it
Thank you for the lens tips as well. That will be my second purchase. Right before the Manfrotto 055xprob and 498rc2... or right after.