Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from the middle of nowhere, Canada!

I've been with Pentax for 4 or 5 years, since I upgraded to my first DSLR (from a Nikon Coolpix 995), an *ist DS. My reasons for choosing Pentax were kind of dumb (best macro on the kit lens, for instance) - but I'm really glad I did anyway. I really like how they care about the overall usability of the camera, not just features they can market.

I upgraded to the K20D a few months after it came out (got it used). It was working great for me, until a few months ago when I put it on my tripod... and then knocked the tripod over. I sent it in to be looked at, and they quoted me $690 to fix it. I could of course get a new used one for less. So I declined the repair, and now I'm waiting for the K5 to go down in price a bit before I get one. Although I'm expecting to wait a couple months at least, I can't help looking everywhere every couple days - and that's what led me here! Seems like a really nice place, and the lens reviews and market place are very interesting indeed.

If you'd like to check out my photos, I have some of my better ones up on my website: http://www.happyspork.com/

11-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I'm sure you'll fall for the k5 faster than you think
11-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, it's been very tempting! I keep looking at the prices and going "wow, it's $200 cheaper than it was, I could just get it now!"... buut, really I can't justify paying that much for a camera at this point - especially when I'm sure it'll be cheaper in a month or two.
11-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

or you could grab a good used k7 at half the price and wait for the k5 to be replaced and plummet in price as well

11-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've certainly thought about doing that. Originally I was gonna get a K7 because I didn't think the K5 was much better... but then I heard about how impressive the K5's sensor is, and now I really want it! It's really hard to calculate how it would work to buy a K7 and then upgrade soon-ish (half a year to a year) to the K5. You have to factor in predictions of prices, taxes or not taxes buying used or new, and then how much I could re-sell the K7 for... It might work out, but I think I'd rather just have the K5 sooner, and deal with less buying, selling, and upgrading. It's kind of the middle ground between impulsively getting the K5 NOW, and having the will power to get it not quite yet.

I also figure I'll appreciate the upgrade more, if I'm camera-less for a while. One thing I didn't mention is I was really neglecting photography for quite a while, and then to get back into it, I was doing the "one photo a day" thing... and about a month into that, I knocked the tripod over. I think a 2-models-newer upgrade + a few months of no-camera withdrawal should get me back into it pretty good!
11-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

i was lusting after the k5 as well but decided to get the 7 for now (i did get a good price and avoided taxes) But for it to be worth while it'll likely take 2 years for the k5 to hit the price i want (and then of course i'll be lusting after a k3 or k9 whatever they decide to number it (LX-D anyone with optional finders and FF)
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well certainly if I saw a K7 for a good enough price (maybe $500?) I'd go for it, but as it is I'm holding out for the K5.

The numbering makes no sense at all. I mean, the less digits the better makes sense, but first the K20D was better than the K10D, and now the K5 is better than the K7... A FF body would be nice; I currently have only 2 lenses and they're both FF. But I imagine it'll be quite a while before I could afford a FF body, even if Pentax did make one.
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

i paid a little more than that but it was a kit (and i'll keep the lens for those crappy weather days like a nice snowstorm)
not much chance of a FF but labeling it with LX would acknowledge the best 35mm they ever made imho
not much chance of my affording one either
$500 is what refurb K20's have been going for so it may be a while before the K7 gets there
loaclly someone is selling a k7 body for 800 (more than i would pay i'd settle for a kr if i was going that high)

11-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, that's pretty nice, I would like to have a weather sealed lens. I was thinking of getting one, but realized I didn't really wanna pay $150 for it. I agree about the K7 - which is why I'm going for the K5. I've seen K7s for $700 used a few times though, on Amazon and maybe here too.
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

i paid 700 with the lens, if it had involved taxes i would have waited
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crimson_penguin Quote
I've been with Pentax for 4 or 5 years, since I upgraded to my first DSLR (from a Nikon Coolpix 995), an *ist DS. My reasons for choosing Pentax were kind of dumb (best macro on the kit lens, for instance) - but I'm really glad I did anyway. I really like how they care about the overall usability of the camera, not just features they can market.

I upgraded to the K20D a few months after it came out (got it used). It was working great for me, until a few months ago when I put it on my tripod... and then knocked the tripod over. I sent it in to be looked at, and they quoted me $690 to fix it. I could of course get a new used one for less. So I declined the repair, and now I'm waiting for the K5 to go down in price a bit before I get one. Although I'm expecting to wait a couple months at least, I can't help looking everywhere every couple days - and that's what led me here! Seems like a really nice place, and the lens reviews and market place are very interesting indeed.

If you'd like to check out my photos, I have some of my better ones up on my website: http://www.happyspork.com/
Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

You mention that you are from "the middle of nowhere" in Ontario? Where is that?

Too bad about your K20D but I think you made a wise decision not to have it fixed for that very high repair price.
Better wait up a bit, as you said, and perhaps get a K7 or a K5.

I own both the K7 and K20D and both are great cameras. I too have "almost" bought the K5 a couple of weeks back but I am still holding off until after Christmas.

Now I'll go and check your pics!

Cheers.

JP
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You mention that you are from "the middle of nowhere" in Ontario? Where is that?
It's near Killaloe. It seems almost as though the bigger the city is, the further away it is. All the actual cities are at least an hour away (Pembroke/Petawawa, Renfrew, etc.), and then there's Ottawa 2 hours away, and Montreal and Toronto 4 hours away.
11-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crimson_penguin Quote
It's near Killaloe. It seems almost as though the bigger the city is, the further away it is. All the actual cities are at least an hour away (Pembroke/Petawawa, Renfrew, etc.), and then there's Ottawa 2 hours away, and Montreal and Toronto 4 hours away.
Well, cheer up!

I used to live in Hearst!

JP