Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello! I think I'm in the right place.

New to the forum and to DSLR's in general. I'm tired of the mediocre shots I'm getting with my point and shoot cameras when I am in some of the most amazing places in the world. Planning to take some classes once I make the investment so I can use my new toy properly.

I'm going to be using the camera when backpacking, working on ski patrol and throwing it in a sealed dry box in the back of my kayak to shoot some action shots from the river bank of fellow kayakers. It needs to be able to hold up to some trips. My camera is not going to get dunked in the water, but rain drops and dust are probable.

Unless someone can talk me out of it , I'm planning on getting a K-5 with the 18-55mm lens along with the 50-200mm.

Pentax seemed like the most bang for the buck and there is not a weather sealed micro four thirds available at this point.

11-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is an amazing body! However, if you're going to be outdoors a lot, I'd recommend the new 18-135 over the 2-lens combo: less switching means lest dust/water has the potential to get in your camera.

See here for deets:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm Review - PentaxForums.com
Recommended Pentax Gear - PentaxForums.com
11-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Looks like those are going for over $500 right now. Do prices usually come down? Where is the best place to buy? Thanks!
11-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

watch for a kit price, the 18-135 is going to be available as a kit. prices come down on bodies more than lenses over time
i would imagine the difference in price from the 2 lens kit to the 18-135 kit won't be much and 18-135 should cover most needs for hiking and ski patrol etc

12-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SkyDog Quote
New to the forum and to DSLR's in general. I'm tired of the mediocre shots I'm getting with my point and shoot cameras when I am in some of the most amazing places in the world. Planning to take some classes once I make the investment so I can use my new toy properly.

I'm going to be using the camera when backpacking, working on ski patrol and throwing it in a sealed dry box in the back of my kayak to shoot some action shots from the river bank of fellow kayakers. It needs to be able to hold up to some trips. My camera is not going to get dunked in the water, but rain drops and dust are probable.

Unless someone can talk me out of it , I'm planning on getting a K-5 with the 18-55mm lens along with the 50-200mm.

Pentax seemed like the most bang for the buck and there is not a weather sealed micro four thirds available at this point.
Olympus E-5 is Weather Sealed Camera, BUT it also Cost $100 more then K-5.
Oh, and Welcome to the Forums.
12-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lover Quote
Olympus E-5 is Weather Sealed Camera, BUT it also Cost $100 more then K-5.
Oh, and Welcome to the Forums.
E-5 is 4/3 not m4/3 so in essence he was correct
E-5 may well be the last proper slr from Oly as well
not worth the cost should be $1000-1100 which is where it will be in a couple of months likely