Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
New DSLR user from Las Vegas

Hello, my name is Karin and I'm excitedly waiting for FedEx to deliver my new K20D (well, used actually) today and begin my foray into the DSLR world. I was cautioned against Pentax from some course instructors, saying that Canon and Nikon would provide better options. But after hours pouring over camera reviews, many from this wonderful site, I chose Pentax and am sure I'll be satisfied. I will be shooting in the elements and the weather-sealed body and lens options, with the massive 18.4mp, internal image stabilization, affordable pricing, and super support made Pentax my final choice. I am blown away by the photos posted here, and look forward to joining in. I have been point-and-shoot for years and frustrated by the standard "family" looking photos when I know my eye sees so much more. Can't wait to play today! OOOHHHH....is that the doorbell???

12-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I'm from Vegas too and was in your shoes not too long ago. After lots of reading, etc., I went with the K-X and will be moving up to the K-5 here soon after I get a few more lenses. Plan on shooting out at Red Rock or Mt. Charleston?
12-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, of course! I absolutely love textures and the desert is such an awesome palette of them. I'm also a vet tech and into animal photography (love your avatar BTW) so will be shooting for Heaven Can Wait and other public interest animal events. There's a local meetup group for photography I've joined, apparently they meet and shoot/learn together. Haven't been yet but I'm still waiting for Fedex!! Here's a link if interested: http://www.snphoto.org/ I'm also looking at a two-day DSLR class in January. So much to learn!! Thanks for writing
12-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Glad you like the pic. She's been a trooper while I click away, haha. I didn't know about that group, thanks for the link! I've wanted to get involved with a group like that but hadn't taken the time to look around yet. Maybe I'll see you there, probably among a crowd of non-pentaxians, haha.

12-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, well two's a crowd in our world, isn't it?