Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Hello from N.E. Oregon.

Hello to all from N.E. Oregon.
I have been lurking all weekend here and decided maybe I better sign up. Looks like I may be around a while.
I am running pretty old school right now. Using an old K1000 and various lenses.(what I have is in my profile)
I had bought one when I was in the Air Force back in the mid 80's but that camera went bad. When I realized that with the job I currently have the picture opportunitys were limitless, my Dad gave me his old T50 canon to use. Very nice camera. But with all the dirt roads I drive it takes nothing to get it dirty.
Along comes my Uncle who has since gone digital decides I need his old equipment. Ok.
So I use the K1000 mostly now, I do want a new digital but I will make due for with what I have.
I use a laptop with no scanner. I hope to change that so you can see some of my pics.
Anyway thats it for now. I hope to make friends and learn to take some better pictures in the process.
Oh, just so you all know. I take pics mostly of animals. Deer mainly. but I also am very into cars.(hense my forum name.)
Rick.

12-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum! :-)
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you. I am trying to either come up with either a small scanner or get a new DSLR. I think the new camera is whats going to happen. The wife just found out how much I spent to get my last 3 rolls developed. Kinda insisting on a Digital.
Then I could put the pics in my laptop and post here.
12-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, insisting should be better than merely accepting (which most consider good) and digital is a treat in many ways :-) With Pentax you should be able to use your existing lenses; the k-x for one is a lot of camera for the price, older Pentax digital bodies can be had at good prices second hand.

12-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
One of the reasons why I want to go with a Pentax is they will accept the old film lenses. (also because I have owned 2 of these K1000's and loved them both.)
12-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From N.W. Oregon, welcome.
12-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 80turbota Quote
Thank you. I am trying to either come up with either a small scanner or get a new DSLR. I think the new camera is whats going to happen. The wife just found out how much I spent to get my last 3 rolls developed. Kinda insisting on a Digital.
Then I could put the pics in my laptop and post here.
High and welcome to the forum
Any worthwhile scanner will cost you more than a good used K100 K200 nevermind that the best flatbeds (epson 750) can cost as much as a Kr kit by the time you add nice fresnel film holders and good software to maximize them.
I'm fortunate in that for Colour film I can have it processed and scanned (4bit - sufficient for Web and proofing at 4x6) done for $3.00
And I process my own b/w
Scanning I hate though.
If you're develop Scan costs are $20 / roll (the low end of 16 bit scanning/processing) it doesn't take too many rolls to pay for a pretty nice Kx or Kr not to mentioned used K7. Add in the film cost and it's even quicker. You don't shoot film now because it's cheaper, you shoot it for the look and the experience. Medium format dragged me back to film, now I'm back on 35mm as well. But if I had to choose one format it would be digital hands down, fast convenient, low cost of operation (prints are still about the same cost) versus the high cost, slow processing, less convenient Film. But nothing for me beats getting back a box of slides and looking at them on a light table (or projecting them even better) or printing a black and white neg myself. it's a hobby though not a professional choice, I rarely shoot film in scenarios with deadlines or where large numbers of frames will be required
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
I like film. I can have it developed and printed in about an hour. What I like about digital is If I don't like the picture I can delete it. Then do an adjustment and take another. Film is not that way. (only stating the obviose here)
The wife just saw how much a new Kx is. I will not be getting that any time soon. That was made perfectly clear. Ok so I will stay with the ol K1000. It takes wonderful pictures.
I think a way to change her mind will be for her to scan the pics I want and email them to me.hehe. After a few times of that she will most likely think differently.
No worrys though. I will post up some stuff I have taken. You may like them or not. I dunno. There is definatly nothing of any professional quality. Better than average but nothing really worth bragging about for sure.

12-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here.
Enjoy the film forum here until your wife decides the K-x is no longer a massive financial burden to purchase.
12-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys, Yeah I am enjoying playing with film. Although today I discovered that I wasn't able to advance the film cause it had came undone from the roller.(my stupidity) Oh well no real harm.(some minor losses but it is livable.)
01-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well it became official. When taxes come in i will be getting a new K-x! I am pumped. Of course it is with a trade off but I am jazzed. I will be able to post some pics and learn what I have been doing wrong.
I haven't posted much but I have been lurking. Sorry, But I have been learning so much maybe sometime soon I might actually be able to contribute here.
Thanks to all.