Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
my first time!!!!

hi, my first SLR is on the way .its a used K-X + 2 lens,1 lens is 55- 300 i think. other than point and shoot i don't know crap about cameras and all the settings.always wanted to try a nice camera ,you only live once. read alot of good things on this . any and all tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,scott

12-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. By all accounts, you have a great camera. Read the manual, ask questions here and you'll be an expert in no time.
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board. I think by reading through the forum you'll gain all the valuable tips and information you would require to get you started. Enjoy your stay!!!
12-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Scott!

First lesson:

If it uses film, it's an SLR. Otherwise, refer to it as a DSLR. It's a distinction that will matter here as you learn more.

I have the same camera, so any questions, don't be shy about the Beginners forum or sending me PMs.

12-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Welcome, Scott!

First lesson:

If it uses film, it's an SLR. Otherwise, refer to it as a DSLR. It's a distinction that will matter here as you learn more.

I have the same camera, so any questions, don't be shy about the Beginners forum or sending me PMs.

got it ,keep em comin !! thanks
12-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by scottyboy Quote
got it ,keep em comin !! thanks
HAH! Good! You have a sense of humor!
12-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Scott, I also have a KX so feel free to send me any questions as well. I have owned Pentax cameras since the 1970s and have the DA 55mm-300mm lens too. Happy shooting. Ray
12-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
your pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Welcome Scott, I also have a KX so feel free to send me any questions as well. I have owned Pentax cameras since the 1970s and have the DA 55mm-300mm lens too. Happy shooting. Ray

nice pics. ray!!!! i like to garden and get alot of butterflies and stuff. i'd kill to take pics. like yours .awsome stuff.

12-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
home

sense of humor yes ,nothin like a good laugh.
i see you live in coral springs ,fla. bet you get tons of great pics!!! i have grand lake st.marys so polluted they shut it down for most the summer.you get dolphins i get dead carp.
12-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
your pics.

i just figured out i could see your pics. i'm a fan of black and whites also.nice work!!!!
12-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

sense of humor yes ,nothin like a good laugh.
i see you live in coral springs ,fla. bet you get tons of great pics!!! i have grand lake st.marys so polluted they shut it down for most the summer.you get dolphins i get dead carp.
Coral Springs is about 20 minutes inland from the beach, so no dolphins. And even if I go to the beach, how often do you see a dolphin?

I'm actually right next to the Everglades, and irony of all ironies, I hate nature photography. Been there...done that...stunk at that...and don't care. Also, the birding during the winter months is INCREDIBLE here, but birds are also nature, so I'm still screwed.

To make matters worse, I live in suburbia, which doesn't exactly inspire dramatic photos. A more talented photographer perhaps, but not me.

So don't be so envious. When I lived in NYC, there were a million more photo ops, including the changing seasons. The fact that I live in wonderful weather with great sun IS a big plus for the average hobbyist--except there's usually not much of (my) interest to shoot here.

It's a challenge for all of us. We get bored with our surroundings, and long for more exciting things to shoot. Of course, it's all in our heads, and the great photographers here can create magic out of nothing.

I really hate those guys.
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

i just figured out i could see your pics. i'm a fan of black and whites also.nice work!!!!
Thanks, but you obviously have low standards.

HAH!!!

(I shoot only with old manual M42 lenses.)

By the way:

Dead carp can make for some incredible shots!
12-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

You have to click on "Albums" next to my avatar. The "Gallery" is used for contest submissions here.

Once or twice a year, they have a contest where you have 24 hours to shoot your part of the world with a Pentax and subnit them. They know when you shot it because the date is embedded in the EXIF data of the file.

It's really cool to see all of these shots taken on the same day from people you get to know here, from all parts of the world.

I never win, but I keep entering.
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #14

Original Poster
Coral Springs is about 20 minutes inland from the beach, so no dolphins. And even if I go to the beach, how often do you see a dolphin?

I'm actually right next to the Everglades, and irony of all ironies, I hate nature photography. Been there...done that...stunk at that...and don't care. Also, the birding during the winter months is INCREDIBLE here, but birds are also nature, so I'm still screwed.

To make matters worse, I live in suburbia, which doesn't exactly inspire dramatic photos. A more talented photographer perhaps, but not me.

So don't be so envious. When I lived in NYC, there were a million more photo ops, including the changing seasons. The fact that I live in wonderful weather with great sun IS a big plus for the average hobbyist--except there's usually not much of (my) interest to shoot here.

It's a challenge for all of us. We get bored with our surroundings, and long for more exciting things to shoot. Of course, it's all in our heads, and the great photographers here can create magic out of nothing.

I really hate those guys.

i'm with you.might get some snow this weekend but its supposed to be about 10 degrees when i leave for work in the morning ,i'm not a winter lover.
12-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

i'm with you.might get some snow this weekend but its supposed to be about 10 degrees when i leave for work in the morning ,i'm not a winter lover.
Oy vey.

I'm 53, and moved here 17 years ago from Brooklyn. (Got a wife and 2 boys, 19 and 14.)

We had had two of the worst winters ever. Ice storms, snow storms, freezing cold.

After that second winter, in like April, I said to my wife, "We're moving to Florida in July."

And we just did it.