Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #1

The Journey Here

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself as a new member of the Forum. I've been an amateur photographer since my first film SLR, a Pentax Spotmatic almost 40 years ago. Since then I've been fortunate to use a variety of film and digital cameras, from Canon and Nikon to Leica, but I've always been disatisfied for one reason or another with the systems I bought into for what I like to shoot (street, environmental portraiture, travel). I've now purchased (and am awaiting delivery of) a Pentax K-5 with a 21mm DA limited pancake and a 50-135 DA* zoom. I think this may be it for me and wondered if any of you had followed a similar path in choosing Pentax.

My first concern was IQ and low noise, low light, capability. Then I wanted a camera that was small and light like my Leica M7 (but which could autofocus with manual override, and wasn't limited by the rangefinder viewfinder or limited range of usable lens focal lengths). I wanted small and light lenses (like the Leica lenses), but again with autofocus and available longer focal lengths and zooms when I needed them (such as for sports). I wanted robust build (like my Nikon D200 or my wife's D700) but without the size and weight. I wanted weatherproofing (unlike the Canon I fried in the humidity of Mexico). I like cameras that are simple to operate and not fiddly (I hate going through menu screens to make simple but important adjustments - i.e., Canon). I wanted a full and bright viewfinder (like the medium format film camera I used briefly). I wanted in body vibration reduction (I'm a pretty steady shot, but everyone can use help). Finally I got disgusted by paying top dollar for cameras and lenses that were good, but big and bulky and never seemed to suit my particular needs (pretty much all of those brands). I considered everything now on the market, and even micro four thirds cameras, but wasn't finding what I wanted until I came back to Pentax, which in every way seemed to fit the bill. The old gear has been sold off over the years and the new gear arrives in the next few days. I hope the journey is at an end and I can just focus on taking pictures again. I'm glad to join you. Chris.

Last edited by ChrisAZ; 12-16-2010 at 11:32 PM.
12-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the informative introduction, please enjoy your stay with us and we'll look forward to seeing some shots taken with your new Pentax K-5 camera.
12-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Chris.

You should get a real kick out of using the old manual Takumars on your K5. I only use the M42s with the Pentax K-42 adapater, and there are a bunch of us here who only shoot manual like this.

Check out The Takumar Club thread in the SLR Lens Forum, but be aware:

It's hundreds of pages long, so you're better off starting with the last page and going back a few. And then, taking it from there with the newer posts.

The price of the Takumars has skyrocketed in the last year, but bargains can be found every now and then.
12-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Eaglem and Ira, I'm excited to get out this weekend and do some shooting with the K5. But Ira, I just got here and your trying to turn me into a collector? Now I have to start dealing with Takumar Acquisition Syndrome? Yikes, you're hitting me where I'm weak and I may need counseling. ; ) Chris

12-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisAZ Quote
Thanks Eaglem and Ira, I'm excited to get out this weekend and do some shooting with the K5. But Ira, I just got here and your trying to turn me into a collector? Now I have to start dealing with Takumar Acquisition Syndrome? Yikes, you're hitting me where I'm weak and I may need counseling. ; ) Chris
It's all part of LBA--Lens Buying Addiction as you know--and I refuse to accept responsibility for your particular disgusting addiction that's sure to come.

It's just the nature of the beast, and what makes shooting Pentax so special.

Sure, you can use an M42 Tak on a Rebel with modification, but does that really count?
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Does LBAA offer a 10 step program?