Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

hi- falling in love with my new camera

Hey everyone bought my first DSLR (K-X) a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to the forums, there were lots of helpful links and such throughout to help me get started. I'm loving how easy this is turning out to be and I am looking forward to learning even more. I love this camera and most of the things I want to do happen instinctually, and this NEVER happens to me, lol. I'm that girl who always wanted to play an instrument, but never found the right rhythms. I have never been a natural at anything, so this is blowing my mind!

So- just to give you the low-down: I bought the K-x with the regular kit lens as well as the 50-200mm. Bought it for a steal with the Christmas sales going on ($550), so I was pretty stoked about that. I chose this camera because of it's reviews on excellent performance in low light situations. I am a birth doula and have started expanding my services into offering birth photography as well. I am still trying to do my research on the best lens to buy as well as the best flash to accompany my camera. Most of the births I attend are VERY low light water births with two dim spot lights on the birth pool. I prefer to keep my flash photography very minimal (many of the mothers have a philosophy to keep the first few moments of baby's life very low-key). So far I have a few shoe-mounted diffusers to get me by.

This camera will also be working quadruple time taking WAY too many pictures of my gorgeous children, my beautiful Akita, as well as taking pictures for my side business selling baby carriers.

I am coming from an -iPhone only background. I have not owned a camera since my childhood. I previously borrowed cameras from friends and family (usually canons and nikons), and I am so glad to have such a great camera in my life of my very own!

12-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! :-)
12-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board. Just love your excitement and enthusiasm, hope it's catching!
12-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi therevslady and welcome. Glad to hear how much you like your K-x. When you get ready to get your low light lens, please feel free to ask if you get confused. One of the great benefits of all Pentax DSLRs is that ALL the old pentax lenses fit and work on your K-x. Try that with a Canon or Nikon
NaCl(I had to look up doula, sounds like a wonderfilled occupation)H2O

12-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, the term 'doula' is not very mainstream even though that role has been around as long as women have been birthing babies. I really believe I am privileged to do what I do.