Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
New guy here. Glad I found this site

Like the title says, I'm very glad I found this site. I'm new to photography. About as new as one can get. LOL. I've had a few point n shoots, but I'm ready to actually take nice pictures.

I was never big into taking pictures until about 3 months ago when my first child was born. Since then I find myself taking more pictures than I know what to do with. And I totally see the joy in photography. Capturing that one moment that says a million words.

Anyways, I've been researching heavily and decided to go with a new Pentax kx (white). I love the features, and LOVE the color of the camera itself. Ordering it tomorrow from adorama. Can't wait to get started. And see what I can learn from everyone on the forum. Thanks

Joey

12-29-2010, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Joey and welcome! Congrats on your new K-x. Once you get your camera and have questions feel free to ask! I think you will find the most help over at the beginners forum here

NaCl(have fun and don't forget to share your shots)H2O
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome.

If you are finding the joy of photography on your first child, get a fast lens.

Any normal zoom like 16-50, 17-50, 18-50 etc with a constant aperture of f2.8 [and these are made by pentax and cheaper by sigma or tamron] will do wonders for your love of photography. If you have more patience [and the money] get a prime lens to take portrait shots, the da 70mm is superb.
12-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the kit lens until tax time. (I'm a construction worker, so these winters are hard on my wallet). I'll have to see what I can do with that for now I suppose. I have a feeling even the kit lens will be much better and faster than my cell phone and old point and shoot.

12-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. As far as lenses, I'm stuck with kit lens until tax time at least. (I'm a construction worker, so these winters don't help my wallet much) I have a feeling that the kit lens will still be better and faster than my cell phone and point and shoot camera. Lol
12-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by mustangjoey Quote
.....decided to go with a new Pentax kx (white). I love the features, and LOVE the color of the camera itself. Ordering it tomorrow from adorama.....
Thank you for your Adorama business - and if you are ever in need of any after-sales support, I'm only an email away: HelenO@adorama.com

Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year
12-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Joey - you've found yourself the best value entry-level dSLR money can buy.
Well done and all the best with it. Enjoy the forum.

12-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Welcome, Joey! And congratulations on the camera--and KID!

Don't let him touch it though.

You're buying your camera at the perfect time, because your wife can't give you a hard time when you buy new lenses.
12-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I bought the K-x myself, my first DSLR. You're going to enjoy the camera a lot. Have fun.
12-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks again guys. And thanks Helen, we'll be in touch I'm sure. The little girl loves taking pics already. Can't wait to start posting real pictures and getting some feedback. Ordering right now, already downloaded the owners manual so I can be a step ahead. Any advice is appreciated too. But the general consensus I get is "get out and start shooting".
12-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Just don't bug Helen with technical questions.

Bug us here instead.

I'm unemployed, and it gives me a reason to live.
12-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #12

Welcome! I just joined this forum last week...I got a k-x for Christmas! I've all ready had a couple questions, and everybody here on this forum has been wonderful...and right! Thank goodness! Lol!
Have fun with your new camera...and your new baby!
12-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Awesome Christmas gift LIGirl! Mine was half Christmas gift half my own money, (my gift to myself) a bit late, but better late than never. And il check out the tech section before asking too many silly questions.
12-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mustangjoey Quote
Any advice is appreciated too. But the general consensus I get is "get out and start shooting".
Here are 3 things I found most helpful:
1. Went to the library and got myself some photobooks. especially 'understanding exposure' but not everybody likes to learn from books...I also got some books with just photos just to see how other people took photos. this will give you plenty of ideas.

2. Took a beginners class for about 100 dollars. It was 4 sessions and it helped the most. Then I just kept taking hundreds of pictures....

3. Once I learned the basics, I got rid of my cheap tripod that I never used and got myself a good one that I actually enjoyed using.
12-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LIGirl Quote
Welcome! I just joined this forum last week...I got a k-x for Christmas! I've all ready had a couple questions, and everybody here on this forum has been wonderful...and right! Thank goodness! Lol!
Have fun with your new camera...and your new baby!
Can you please fix your font and shading problems?