Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New and excited..

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just got a kx for Christmas...(gotta love the daughters!). I had a Pentax years ago and loved the quality of photos. I am coming from a superzoom...(lumix FZ7) and got so used to the zoom, now I am needing my zoom fix! I am considering a Tamron 70 - 300 over Sigma just because of reviews. I want to get the macro feature because...well....because I enjoy macro! Don't have the money yet to invest too much at one time and really want to go easy as I don't want to have a bunch of $$ in lenses I won't use much....yet. Any advice? I will be shooting some low light, do alot of landscapes and want versatility. Thanks in advance!

CJ

12-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join. If you post your questions in the Pentax Beginners Corner you are more likely to get replies to them
12-30-2010, 06:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you!
12-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Do you need the long stuff?

Remember that with your APS-C sensor, there's something called the crop factor. Your final image at 300 will look like the final image on film at 450. It's 1.5 times your digital focal length to get the equivalent focal length for film.

I also mention this because YOU mentioned landscapes, and a 70-300 sure isn't cut out for that job. If you're really into zooms and you have a background in photography, plus those landscapes, I say buy yourself a moderate wide angle to mid length now, and a longer zoom later.

The main thing is, you want to buy quality now. And unfortunately, you're not rich like I'm not rich, so lens choices are hard choices to make.

If it were me starting over again, and if I was a zoom guy, I would go for the Tamron 28-75, which has the ideal range for MY type of shooting. If I got the Tammy, and then saw a need to go wider (and remember your kit lens can still do 18), I would go for a lens like the Sigma 10-20. Only THEN would I invest money in the long stuff.

Also investigate Pentax's new 18-135, which looks like a beauty.

Last edited by Ira; 12-30-2010 at 06:48 AM.
12-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I'm enjoying my K-x a lot. Hope you do as well.
12-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. Being so used to the lumix superzoom I really hadn't thought of the crop factor. The tamron 28-75 looks like a good lens.... If I can scout one out I can afford!
12-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

My decisions for this stuff are pretty easy:

I shoot 99.999% old manual primes, so I'm usually not paying big bucks for new and expensive auto lenses. But I say "usually" because I paid like $260 for my 85mm F1.9 Super Takumar, and similar for my 35mm F2 Super Takumar.

These are 45-year-old plus M42 screw mount lenses that mount via Pentax's k to M42 adapter, all manual. (I seem to be Super-Multi-Coated Takumar challenged, and never win these on e Bay, only the Supers. The only S-M-C I have is the 200mm F4.)

We all shoot differently, and I love the feel and build of these lenses--because they're old, just like me. Also, although I would surely appreciate the range and convenience that the Tammy 28-75 would give me, I already, more or less, have that range covered with my primes, which are faster. Even more important though, for ME, I way prefer going out for the day with a prime on the camera and using my feet to zoom in or out, and I like the way primes make me think more about my shots.

However, that being said, I really, really, REALLY love that 28-75. That was going to be the first zoom I threw in my bag (besides my kit), because not only is it the ideal range for most of what I do, the shots are spectacular. However, since I need a wedding zoom by March, I'm going for the new Pentax 18-135, if my wife doesn't kill me during the process.

Here's the Tammy Club, but I wish there was club for just the 28-75. If there is and I'm unaware of it, I apologize:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31955-tammy-club.html
12-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax DA(L) 55-300mm seems to enjoy a good reputation and the price is reasonable. see: Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED - Review / Test Report, SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database and SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database