Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Intro...new hobbyist, first DSLR (k-x)

Hello guys and gals!

I'm glad to have found a home for my new hobby/money pit.

I picked up a new white k-x about 6 months ago with the 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses. That was quickly followed by memory cards, a case logic slr sling bag, a set of eneloop aa's, couple lens hoods, pixma printer, and dolica tripod. Started learning Gimp for photo editing, and purchased a monoprice graphics tablet to make editing on my laptop easier.

So here I am, with all this great stuff and a great place to learn more. After some research, I am looking into some fast, wide angle lenses as I take a lot of pictures in my house, where light is not always readily available. After learning that there are years and years of lenses out there that are k-mount, I've become quite intrigued in some of the older manual lenses. A lot of great character there and a challenge to really learn how to shoot.

Anyway, I look forward to my stay here and hope to learn to be a great photographer!

12-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! You got yourself a nice set up that is great for beginners. I picked up a M50 1.7 that is great for indoor shots and produces some of the best IQ of any lens out there. I'm sure you can find many that will suit your needs. This forum has been very useful to me for the past 9 months. There is helpful info all over so be sure to take some time and explore as much as you can. Enjoy!
12-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got the same kit as you and have been enjoying it a lot. I picked up an M 50 as well and I'm glad I did. It's been fun to learn with. Enjoy your new toys!
12-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slapnutz Quote
After learning that there are years and years of lenses out there that are k-mount.
There are only years of K mounts.

But there are years and YEARS of M42 SCREW mounts! (And not just Pentax brand Takumars either.)

Before you touch that dial, order the M42-K adapter now from the online Pentax store.

And the world is your oyster.

12-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes I have considered that as well, thank you for fixing what I mis-posted. Now I just need the weather to get nice again so I have more things to shoot!
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lens suggestion for indoor/low light use: Tamron 17-50mm 1:2.8, a budget quality piece: Pentax-M/A 28mm 1:2.8 :-)
12-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here and hope you enjoy the forum.
Have a look through the lens review database for old manual fast wides - there are a few around, it's just a matter of finding one for sale - check the marketplace periodically