Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Must post to PM, but hey, glad to meet you all anyway

A little about me. I've been taking pictures for a few years now, but moved to a dslr with my k7 about a year and a half ago.

recently I have begun to assemble a kit of nicer lenses; my kit lenses' limitations have been becoming obvious. So far I have a DA* 300 and a DFA 100 macro. My next purchase will probably be an M 28mm from the market here, thus my need to post, post, post.

01-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What I like to shoot

I am especially drawn to nature, being an avid hiker, canoeist, Tree climber, bug watcher, star gazer ect.

I take landscape, extreme close-up, and documentary nature pictures.
Often my aim is to attempt to capture on camera whatever my eye-brain-spirit has been struck by; always an interesting challenge. Also I try to record the unfamiliar for later reference and identification, ie plants, animals, landforms.

All of that said, I don't shirk different types of opportunities. I have my first portrait session coming up.
01-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome
if you want examples of the M28's visit the Single In January galleries, I'm shooting the 3.5 someone else is shooting the 2.8, I believe the k28 is also being shot
so far I've seen some stellar examples of its strengths from people
I have the 28 2.8 as well but aside from not being quite as fast I think the 3.5 is a little better performer. Watch the thrift shops and flea markets. both my 28's cost me less than $15 so you may be able to find a good one for less than it would cost to ship it to you
the 300 and 100 are amazing lenses by all accounts, i'm just too cdamn cheap to invest though
01-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arboreal Quote
I am especially drawn to nature, being an avid hiker, canoeist, Tree climber, bug watcher, star gazer ect.

I take landscape, extreme close-up, and documentary nature pictures.
Often my aim is to attempt to capture on camera whatever my eye-brain-spirit has been struck by; always an interesting challenge. Also I try to record the unfamiliar for later reference and identification, ie plants, animals, landforms.

All of that said, I don't shirk different types of opportunities. I have my first portrait session coming up.
the 100 should work nicely for the portrait session, but while your hunting the old lenses watch for a good fast 50-55 they make excellent portrait lenses and can be found like the 28 at some pretty incredible prices
If you do get into manual focus you may want to also consider a new focusing screen. I have a fiocusingscreen.com Nikon K3 screen with gridlines in my K7 and it is quite the improvement for manual focus and so far no issues with my AF or Metering (YMMV)

01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Looking forward a bit

I am very interested in improving my technique, and kit, in the area of macro. Thus my need to place these three posts, so that I PM a seller on the market. I am trying to aquire an M 28 mm f2.8 for use with a reverse mount adapter ring.

In the Spring there will be arthropods, and new growth, for now there are snowflakes, bubbles in the Michigan ice, and who knows what?

Anyway, Hello world, pleased to meet you.
01-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Eddie

I appreciate the tips, I think you moved to wait a bit on the 28 and see what comes up.

I have been watching some FA50 1.4s on EBay, but may look for a less expensive alternative for the immediate need. Then I can save for something else later, maybe a weather sealed 50 or so.
01-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

good luck with the lens hunt. a few of my MF lenses came as part of a bundle I bought via ebay the rest came from regular hunting through the second hand and junk shops or flea markets. these have yet to cost me more than $15, but now it is getting hard to find a lens i need/want in these outlets (35 f2.0 would be nice, the old 21 even nicer, an 85 where they don't realise what they have even better....but I've never seen any of these on my hunt - too bad I don't shoot Sony one store i was in had scads of Minolta AF stuff including a few primes)
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #8

Same for me have to post to be able to use the marketplace and lookig at the FA 50mm 1.4 which will suit my need during my travels.

01-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #9

me too
01-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
JLR

Photos: Albums
I'm in the same boat! I have wanted an SLR camera for a solid 10 years and finally got one. It's been so fun learning so far.