Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Member - Old Dilemma

While on my research mission for my first DSLR, I've come to your forum to help with my decision.

I've been shooting for over 40 years, but when it came time to change over from film to digital, I lost my motivation/inspiration for some reason.

Fast forward to now, I've narrowed my search down to a couple Pentax bodies.

I was going to buy a K-r, but it is a little above my budget.
I have now settled my mind on finding a used K20D.

One of my biggest concerns is the heft and weight of the body, and where I live (in the boonies), I have no way to feel and hold any of these bodies.

So, I continue my research here, and can feel my motivation coming back from reading through all the threads here.

I'm sure you will here more from me once my mind is made up and I make that purchase.

01-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and I'm sure you'll find the K20D well worth your money.
It's a very solid, well-designed enthusiast body.
Now all you need are some decent lenses to get you going.
01-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!

I kind of feel like I am back home after 10 years of being away.

I already have a short list of lenses I want but first have to score that body before I can move on.
01-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are going to put a grip on it and use a 3-pound lens, or frequently use a tripod, the actual body weight is not so important.

01-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you are going to put a grip on it and use a 3-pound lens, or frequently use a tripod, the actual body weight is not so important.
True that -

I am coming from the SLR world (have only had a couple P&S digitals since I sold all my 35mm stuff 10 years ago), and the feel of the camera in my hands is very important to me.

What really made me realize this - I was in a Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago, and while my wife was in the electronics department, they had a Canon Rebel on display (no bashing intended here!) - I picked it up and promptly put it back down as it felt so different from what I am used to - felt so light and plastic feeling.

So in my search, without being able to hold any of these bodies, I am trying very hard to buy something that will feel good in my hands. I don't want to buy anything twice or three times like so many of us have done in the past - want to get it right the first time.

This is why I am leaning toward the K20D instead of the K-r - the K-r "looks" like a smaller body than the K20D, and also because I am trying to stay withing a budget of $500 for the body.

Boy - that last sentence sounds like I want it all without paying for it!!
01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The K20D/K10D ergonomics is second to none IMO, and with the grip, it's both sturdy and perfect in the hands - as well as good looking.

A fine piece of engineering I'd like to see continue in future bodies.
01-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that input Ash - I'm like feeling around in the dark with this and going by the opinions I have been reading.

What you describe is exactly what I am looking for.
01-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just wanted to kind of close out this intro/welcome -

I now have a K20D, 55-300 DA (no L), and a 100mm Macro on their way to me (all purchased here).

A good base for starting out I think but went way over my original budget!

I've spent a lot of time reading the forums here the past day or so - you all will be hearing lots from me once I get started.

Thanks again all - onward and upward from here!

01-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

Hey stormtech.... glad to see you got your K20 !! when I made the switch from film to digital one of my concerns was the weight of my new Pentax.( had bought the DL in 2006). I didn`t care for the light body compared to my film cameras but the pics made me forget all that !!
I`m now very happy with my K10 & K20..... find them very solid & dependable,but still lusting for the K5...
Hope you enjoy your K20 & all the great people on this forum.... Keep clickin`
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll love the K20- and both lenses! Enjoy.
01-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
True that -

I don't want to buy anything twice or three times like so many of us have done in the past - want to get it right the first time.
Welcome to the party!

Just be aware that the K-r, K-x and K5 made a quantum leap to high ISO/low noise over earlier cams. Budget not withstanding, and if you have to have that heft (plus weather sealing), the K5 is your most logical choice. I know--big money. But I'm talking about a perfect world here.

Also, in line with what SpecialK said above, I also shot film for years--Mamiyas (35 & 2 1/4) and Nikon F2s. I have the K-x (similar body to the newer and better K-r), and only use old, manual, mostly Takumar lenses. (See my signature.)

With these beautiful, heavy, steel monsters on there, it feels extremely similar to the old 35mm days. In addition, just because the body feels plasticky doesn't make it less durable or more susceptible to damage than the old aluminum/steel bodies. These new plastics are formulated to be tough.

That being said, the K-7 (not yet mentioned in my post here) and the K-5 are significantly larger and meatier than the K-r and K-x, but I don't know about the K-20--so ask about this. (I never used one.) Some people seem to HAVE to have the K-7/K-5 because they say their hands are too big for the others, and this has to be a valid point since so many people bring up this issue. The K-7 and K-5 also have an additional dial, which gives you access to some shooting procedures/techniques not available on the K-x or K-r. (I think the K-20 has this additional dial.) I myself don't miss the extra dial, but since I never had one, I might not know what I'm missing. (But since I always shoot in M mode, I don't think so.)

As for a grip, I don't need them. I shoot with the body resting on my left palm with my left-hand fingers focusing, and my right hand works the controls and shutter--so how many hands do I now have left to grip a grip anyway?

Finally, don't feel bad that you live in the boonies and can't find a store to give them a test-drive. This is true for just about all of us in the country--and the world! Pentax has a horrible retail presence, and we all just scratch our heads in confusion as to why they can't get their cameras into at least ONE national chain, like Best Buy, so people have an opportunity to play with them. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, not exactly the sticks, and there are zero, zero places that carry Pentax within at least 50 miles of me, probably further.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide! Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted you to be aware of as many considerations as possible before plunking down any cash.

Last edited by Ira; 01-11-2011 at 05:44 AM.
01-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughtful input Ira -

All points well taken and very much in line with my research results.

I am so glad I found this forum!