Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hola! new to K7 here in Andalucia, Spain

Hello Pentaxers,

a quick introduction, basically i'm only just beggining in the big wide world of Pentax, hoping to be able to breath new life into old lenses with my K7 & a lot of practice!

I will certainly be bothering some of you with newbie questions this is why i was wondering if there are any concise (less than 300 pages) resources about Pentax lenses?

What else, i'm living in Granada, a multi-secular city in the south of Spain for those who don't know it and this city is on the verge of a big wide plain, backed by 3000+meters mountains covered in snow, this position makes it an amazing spot to photograph complex, ever-changing atmospheric dynamics. It also is the only city in Spain where you get free food, the famed Tapas, when you order something to drink in bars.

That helps a lot.

Photograpy-wise i don't have much experience, having played with my dad's canon SLR in the late 90's, then a digi compact, then a D70 two years ago when DSLR became kinda affordable. Always used zooms, never primes and the K7 will be used to experiment with those. So expect loads of questions about old primers...

Currently i'm looking to ditch the classic 18-55 and buy a fast 30/35mm primer for concert/party/night photo as well as a wide-angle lens to capture the amazing earth-air-sun dynamics that go on everyday over here. All this with about 500 euros of budget.

Hence my need to learn more about old lenses because buying new digital-ready ones will double or maybe triple my budget. And that is not an option for now.

Thats about it really, i hope to share the beauty of the place i live in with all you guys and hope to learn a lot from your individual and collective experiences!

Hasta pronto!

s0l.

01-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new camera. I love your part of the world!
01-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. there isn't any really fast old lenses in the size you mention, usually the best you can hope for is a 2.8 in the 28-35 range on older MF lenses (they are also trickier to focus in the concert nightlife scenario I find)
There is a sigma 30 f1.4 which is your best bang for the buck, and the average price paid will likely eat up about 2/3 of your budget. with the remainder grab a fast 50 manual focus to let you get better head and shoulder shots in low light and elsewhere.
the 30 is a little long for sweeping vistas so you may want to look for the DA21 f2.4 they crop up used at decent prices
or if you want extreme FOV then either the DA 14 f2.8 (bigger and heavier but fast for the size) or the more compact DA15 f4.0 limited also an excellent lens
Welcome to pentax and good luck with your lens hunt
01-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by S0l Quote
What else, i'm living in Granada, a multi-secular city in the south of Spain for those who don't know it and this city is on the verge of a big wide plain, backed by 3000+meters mountains covered in snow, this position makes it an amazing spot to photograph complex, ever-changing atmospheric dynamics. It also is the only city in Spain where you get free food, the famed Tapas, when you order something to drink in bars.

FREE TAPAS!!!! ok now the decision is made We've been debating Barcelona or elsewhere in Spain for later this year

01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
FREE TAPAS!!!! ok now the decision is made We've been debating Barcelona or elsewhere in Spain for later this year
Si! Ese gente sabe como comer!

(These people know how to eat!)

Bienvenidos al nuestro mundo de Pentax!