Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New to pentax

Hi

just bought a K-x through B&H after X-Mas. I'm extremely impressed with the camera and picture quality.
I used to own an AE-1, with a couple lenses and converters, as well as an A-1. I still have an EOS 650, which takes incredible shots -- too bad it costs about $30.00 in film and developing every time I need to shoot about 36 pictures!
I didn't have the money to pick up the extra 55-300 zoom package and I'm kickin' myself now for not getting it. 18-55 MM is just not long enough for what I like to shoot and I can't get those great depth of field shots without the zoom lenses. At least I haven't found the trick to it if there is one-- I've shot close to 40 pictures using various mode/aperture settings on the K-x and can't get close to what I'm used to doing. Any suggestions appreciated.
I've considered a 2X converter but I think it just adds graininess..at least that's what I've noticed in the past on older slr's although there was usually a big zoom attached also. San Francisco seems to be vacant of any Pentax dealers so my eyes are open looking for an affordable 50-200WR or 55-300 zoom that's local. Or affordable.

I look forward to being more helpful once I get the K-x down and I appreciate any comments and help with my new Pentax.

I guess this makes me a 'Pentaxian'??

smilinpig
(Gene)

01-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Ayuda.

Hola que tal, soy nuevo en esto, realmente necesito que me ayuden a decidirme cual camara comprar, mis favoritas son Pentax k20d y la pentax k10d, quisiera saber cual es mejor realmente, por que si la k20d es mas nueva, es mas barata que la antecesora k10d.
Me recomendarian comprarme una k10d nueva que vi en una pagina en la web, estaran en buenas condiciones a pesar que se empezaron a construirse en el 2006.
Ansiosamente espero cualquier respuesta que me aclare mis dudas.
01-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smilinpig Quote
18-55 MM is just not long enough for what I like to shoot and I can't get those great depth of field shots without the zoom lenses. At least I haven't found the trick to it if there is one-- I've shot close to 40 pictures using various mode/aperture settings on the K-x and can't get close to what I'm used to doing. Any suggestions appreciated.

smilinpig
(Gene)
What are you expecting to get via DOF that you think will be better with a longer zoom? That just ain't the case. I understand you want longer FLs, but how does the 18-55 screw you up as far as DOF goes? Do you want deeper DOF, or shallower?

And Pig--happy to have you here. But these are DLSRs here, and 40 shots is hardly nothing. Plus, to finetune DOF, you should be shooting in Av or manual modes--nothing else at all.

Post some pics so we can take a look at your EXIF data and give you some advice. Tell us what you WANTED to accomplish, and via the EXIF, maybe we can figure out what happened.

Because as far as DOF goes, the 18-55 kit should do the job, unless you're expecting 1.4 DOF and that creamy bokeh.
01-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy your time here, your K-x and your photography.
As for being a Pentaxian, this discussion will enlighten you: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/126034-what-makes-pentaxian.html

01-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
JLR

Photos: Albums
neat thread you linked, Ash.
01-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What are you expecting to get via DOF that you think will be better with a longer zoom? That just ain't the case. I understand you want longer FLs, but how does the 18-55 screw you up as far as DOF goes? Do you want deeper DOF, or shallower?

And Pig--happy to have you here. But these are DLSRs here, and 40 shots is hardly nothing. Plus, to finetune DOF, you should be shooting in Av or manual modes--nothing else at all.

Post some pics so we can take a look at your EXIF data and give you some advice. Tell us what you WANTED to accomplish, and via the EXIF, maybe we can figure out what happened.

Because as far as DOF goes, the 18-55 kit should do the job, unless you're expecting 1.4 DOF and that creamy bokeh.
I will add Ira that having a longer reach will allow a portrait from a distance that shot wide open will give the illusion of greater DOF (also a 55-300 is faster at 55 than the kit so it will have better DOF)
If of course this is what he meant

A lot cheaper for this effect will be to spend $25 or so on a 55 f1.8 which should be attainable. (and your and my preference of course)

the 18-135 of course would give a lot of benefits at a higher cost, and kill the kit on IQ
01-12-2011, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

one more thing pig (gene) DOF on an apsc dslr like the Pentax's is not as narrow as it was on the film camera (full frame) like the ones you mention, so f4.0 will not produce the same level of OOF areas as the film camera did
welcome and give us more details as Ira said and maybe we can be more specific
01-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Again...
Appreciate the responses.
What I am trying to get is a subject that is in tight focus with surrounding objects in varying degrees of 'out' of focus. Some examples from mark baker's photos:
Flickr: senhorbaker's Photostream

I hope Mr Baker doesn't mind me linking to his photo's but some of them are good examples.

Also on a tamron discussion page there were a couple shots that are great examples:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/109146-taking-...mm-spin-2.html

I have a few pictures on Facebook but will post to this site once I go through what I've taken in the Pentax Digital Utility, and see what's worth uploading.
I tried many shots on M as well as the Av setting ( I think that's the aperture one?) and just cannot get a sharp focus on the main subject w/ soft focused outside objects.
Never had this problem w/ my AE-1 but I usually shot with a 70-200 lense I believe, manual focus as well as everything else. The 'Good Old Days' I guess....
With the stock 18-55mm lense there is no "A" ring - but my understanding is on such presets as Av, using the wheel on the back to set F stops is the same as having an Aperture ring?
Im no pro, just a hobbyist who has been out of the loop a few years.
Love the K-x but with all of the presets and digital additives, I can't seem to get straight up to the point shots-- yet. Im trying. And the auto shots are for the most part quite good. Also trying to get vcarious movement shots like I shot an old ceiling fan, but could not get the blades to blur or look like they were moving. Slower shutter speed? Slower ISO?
Water too..all the shots show it 'frozen'. These are things I need to learn on the K-x.

Thanks...once I get pictures up I will alarm everyone..
Is there a way the picture info can upload w/ the photo using the Pentax utilty?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

01-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #9

I think eddie's second post answers your DOF question. After reading his post, it is much clearer to me now why I can't get the same amount of out of focus background that I wanted.

...Also trying to get vcarious movement shots like I shot an old ceiling fan, but could not get the blades to blur or look like they were moving. Slower shutter speed? Slower ISO?
Water too..all the shots show it 'frozen'.
In order to not freeze water, I think the best way is to use Tv mode with the shutter speed set to a large number (say 1s), then the camera will set the correct aperture and you should get a reasonably exposed shot. You can also do something similar in Manual mode.

The picture of the fountain on p88 of the english owners manual describes the effect that you are looking for with the water.

...Is there a way the picture info can upload w/ the photo using the Pentax utilty?
I don't know how do do it from the utility, but when I made a jpeg and inserted it directly into my post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/128880-light-reflection.html
the EXIF stuff was automatically added
Hope this is helpful

Last edited by drugal; 01-15-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the bit about (seemingly) automatic addition of EXIF
01-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
I think eddie's second post answers your DOF question. After reading his post, it is much clearer to me now why I can't get the same amount of out of focus background that I wanted.

In order to not freeze water, I think the best way is to use Tv mode with the shutter speed set to a large number (say 1s), then the camera will set the correct aperture and you should get a reasonably exposed shot. You can also do something similar in Manual mode.

The picture of the fountain on p88 of the english owners manual describes the effect that you are looking for with the water.

I don't know how do do it from the utility, but when I made a jpeg and inserted it directly into my post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/128880-light-reflection.html
the EXIF stuff was automatically added
Hope this is helpful
Thanks...yes that fountain example ( in the manual...) which I saw but forgot about, is exactly what the fan blades need as well as some water I've been shooting. But I have spent 2 days now trying to get that deep DOF shot and cannot...I'm ordering one of the zooms this week ( not sure whether to get the 55-200 wr, or 80-300 I think it is?) so hopefully I'll get what I'm attempting!! )
Appreciate the help!!
01-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The most obvious thing to point out is the correlation between the ISO / Shutter Speed & Aperture. So you can often achieve what you are looking for in a number of ways.

re. DoF. Yes, a nice long FL with a wider aperture setting (< 5.6) will help get you that DoF you are looking for (check out the thread on Bokeh here to see what others are achieving and how it was achieved. Of course the faster your lense the easier it is to get that creamy bokeh (OOF).

re. Moving Fan. I would suggest 1 sec is much too slow - for sure you will have other movement in your shot - you ! For a shot like that you will need to play around as the speed of the fan is obviously going to influence the speed you need to shoot at to get the effect you are looking for. You are indoors so the ISO will have to go up (try 400 - 800 in daytime as a starting point - the Kx does excellent low light so that shouldn't be an issue. Then maybe 1/30 to 1/80 (depending on the speed of the fan) will get you the right result - since you are shooting into the ceiling the aperture is not going to make a major difference for this shot. You may have to use a tripod if the shutter speed gets too low.

Virtually the same thing applies for water though it can get complicated with ND filters etc. Probably a tripod and a very slow shutter speed is best ( e.g. 3 - 10 secs depending on ambient light, here different strength ND filters will definitely help - allowing you longer shutter times at the ISO / Aperture you have chosen)..

The 55-300 is an excellent IQ zoom but not that fast (still OK for zoom covering that range) ! It's a great ratio value for money / IQ zoom.

40 shots of testing ?! Try 400 ! Sounds like you are stuck in your film days there. It's digital - it's all free until you print them !

Good luck with your excellent new camera and welcome to the Brotherhood of Pentaxians !
01-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robirdto11 Quote
Hola que tal, soy nuevo en esto, realmente necesito que me ayuden a decidirme cual camara comprar, mis favoritas son Pentax k20d y la pentax k10d, quisiera saber cual es mejor realmente, por que si la k20d es mas nueva, es mas barata que la antecesora k10d.
Me recomendarian comprarme una k10d nueva que vi en una pagina en la web, estaran en buenas condiciones a pesar que se empezaron a construirse en el 2006.
Ansiosamente espero cualquier respuesta que me aclare mis dudas.
I suggest you start a new thread in the right forum - that way you will get a lot of answers from people who have the experience you are looking for. Asking this question in the middle of another thread is not going to get you much response.

Sorry I have no experience of the K20d or k10d.

Good luck !
01-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
New to the forum, but not to Pentax

Hi,

Very glad to see such a large group of people and knowlege. Thank you for all the tips and tricks I have read so far.

I love experimenting with the M42 Takumars, and have had more fun (and collected more sweet lenses) than could possibly have been done for the price of just one new state-of-the-art telephoto prime.

Looking forward to seeing what results other people are getting from these vintage gems.
01-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"Try 400..."
I'm crying I'm laughing so hard. My apologies. Yeah...stuck on film/developing etc haha!!...thanks for the smack in the head. Now I can get out there and run a couple HUNDRED pictures!!
Can't wait....I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks
Appreciate all the technical info too...I used to be real good with my AE-1 about, oh, 25 years ago. Had it DOWN. I don't even remember proper aperture/ shutter speed/ISO and its painful. I'm reading through the K-x manual as a start but lots and lots to learn.
I caught the forum on the bokeh shots with, what were they f 1.2 lenses. Amazing gorgeous shots. For the future I hope
01-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

I guess this makes me a 'Pentaxian'?
Welcome to the forum, a thousand posts here helps too.