Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Pentax convert

Hi from the UK
Well I've previously owned a Sony A200, Canon 40D, Nikon D40, and Nikon D90 (in that order), I have just sold my D90 to free up some cash and today purchased a K-x which'll be delivered tomorrow!
Looking at the 'Show us your best K-X shots' thread, I can't wait to get it now! looks awsome...eneloops at the ready!

01-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome- you'll definitely enjoy it! Isn't the d90 a higher-end model than the k-x, though, as far as the button layout goes?
01-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome- you'll definitely enjoy it! Isn't the d90 a higher-end model than the k-x, though, as far as the button layout goes?
thanks Adam and yes - in the grand scheme of things the D90 is a 'prosumer' model, it's very well constructed, has top panel LCD et all and a pentaprism viewfinder, I loved it to absolute pieces, by far and away the best SLR I have owned and used but it was a 600 camera that I wasn't using to it's full potential (by a long stretch) so I decided to sell, buy the K-x for 320, enjoy the same or better IQ and have 280 in my back pocket!
01-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The D40 is closer to the K-x than the D90. Perhaps the D90 was overkill.

01-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The D40 is closer to the K-x than the D90. Perhaps the D90 was overkill.
closer in what? true they are both entry level cameras but the K-x far exceeds the D40 in specs (but let it not be said that the D40 didn't produce stunning images - it did, the 'rumour' is that Nikon got it a bit wrong with the D40 and D60 and made them too good lol, but it was very basic - tiny viewfinder, small screen, 3 AF points etc.). And yes the D90 was overkill, agreed - I played with it in Jessops and knew I had to own it, the huge viewfinder, the amazing screen etc. and the main reason I went for it is because it is the cheapest Nikon that offers an in body AF motor meaning older lenses will AF, but then of course after a while guilt sets in and I think I'm not using this 600 cam to it's full potential. What I wanted was a camera that would produce the same quality images as the D90 (a strong point being the ISO performance) whilst not being so 'prosumer', Sony, Nikon and Canon's offerings in the entry market either aren't as good IQ wise or just feel horrible (Canon 1000D ) whereas the K-x seems to fit the bill quite nicely
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timmyGCSE Quote
closer in what? true they are both entry level cameras but the K-x far exceeds the D40 in specs (but let it not be said that the D40 didn't produce stunning images - it did, the 'rumour' is that Nikon got it a bit wrong with the D40 and D60 and made them too good lol, but it was very basic - tiny viewfinder, small screen, 3 AF points etc.). And yes the D90 was overkill, agreed - I played with it in Jessops and knew I had to own it, the huge viewfinder, the amazing screen etc. and the main reason I went for it is because it is the cheapest Nikon that offers an in body AF motor meaning older lenses will AF, but then of course after a while guilt sets in and I think I'm not using this 600 cam to it's full potential. What I wanted was a camera that would produce the same quality images as the D90 (a strong point being the ISO performance) whilst not being so 'prosumer', Sony, Nikon and Canon's offerings in the entry market either aren't as good IQ wise or just feel horrible (Canon 1000D ) whereas the K-x seems to fit the bill quite nicely
I simply meant in operation. The D40 being 2 generations older than the K-x and only 6 MP. The D90 really doesn't have an analog with the Pentax lineup. The K-x/K-r sit between the D3000/3100 and the D5000 but able to use older lenses & the K-7/K-5 is at the same level as the D300 or D7000.
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I simply meant in operation. The D40 being 2 generations older than the K-x and only 6 MP. The D90 really doesn't have an analog with the Pentax lineup. The K-x/K-r sit between the D3000/3100 and the D5000 but able to use older lenses & the K-7/K-5 is at the same level as the D300 or D7000.
gotcha, though tbf at least on paper the K-x bests the D5000 in most areas:
Compare the Nikon D5000 vs Pentax K-x - Snapsort

though of course thats on paper, but if the images I've seen on this site are anything to go by it certainly doesn't lag behind the D5000 in image quality one little bit.
01-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

gotcha, though tbf at least on paper the K-x bests the D5000 in most areas:
Compare the Nikon D5000 vs Pentax K-x - Snapsort

though of course thats on paper, but if the images I've seen on this site are anything to go by it certainly doesn't lag behind the D5000 in image quality one little bit.
60% more lenses available for the D5000

The D5000 really only had 2 things the K-x doesn't and they really didn't matter at all to me. The tilt/swivel lcd and HDMI out. I chose the K-x because of the AF screw drive & 35 years worth of K-mount lenses. There is also the availability of M42 screw mount lenses that Nikons can't use.

01-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax convert
I always do a double take when people use the word 'convert' for something as ephemeral as a camera... I understand that it is usually just a term and not to be taken seriously but I guess I have nothing better to do than expound on it a little more:

Pentax makes good cameras, especially to be considered great cameras if you like compact packages. Outside of that the 'gospel' is not that different...Living the 'word' is going to be the same as with other brands. Thinking carefully about composition, making good exposures and all the same nuts and bolts.

If I sound a little preachy I apologize. I am writing partly in jest.
And welcome to Pentax!
10-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Inactive Account

The camera is extension of my soul as it captures all that I see and value for all to see.
In taking photography seriously, I entrust my personal photographic knowledge to an inate tool that will reproduce my efforts in kind.
When looking at an Ansel Adams I don't see black and white, I see creation. Can you immagine if Mr. Adams took his photograhs with equipment that produced a subpar image?
It's the ease of modern photography, the click 1,000 to find 10, that has corrupted this tool.
The moment it all changes is the one picture, the one that kept us up all night, the one where all seemed right, the one we knew it was not only our skill, but also the technological marvel we entrusted to capture it, that moment.
My final word on the 'Gospel' of photography is that a car drivers skills cannot overcome the short comings of a Yugo, he seeks every edge possible to run the best race he can. Photography is no different, too many things can go wrong in a shoot, you must believe in your equipment, there is no skill that can overcome a timid soul.
All camera brands are not alike, all equipment is not just about the same, just as much as each of us holds a similar but different DNA.
10-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As a fellow K-x owner, welcome.